Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:29 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: warping wings
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:50 pm 
FG Origami Master

Last night I made the Lside wing for my Brewster Buffalo, and I'm not happy with it at all. :( The wing has a pretty severe warp or twist along the leading edge which worsens as you go from the root to the tip. It developed when I lined up and glued the trailing edges. Also, the underside of the wing is concave and it has a negative dihedral when attached to the fuselage. At first I thought it might be a design feature since apparently some people fly these models. Anyway, it looks like crap - totally unsuitable for a display model. :x A natural curve forms along the topside of the wing when shaping it, but I'm thinking that perhaps I should have rolled a belly along the length of the wing underside before gluing the trailing edges together. I'm going to try doing that tonight with the Rside wing. Does anyone have any hints they can offer on properly forming the wings of FG airplanes? Am I on the right track with my belly theory? Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Currently working on: 1/48 Fokker DVII
Recently completed: 1/72 Douglas Skystreak

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:13 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

I've noticed that some of these planes wings are not completly even, i.e. the hellcat, to build that correctly you would have to trim a good deal of the top or bottom wing to get them to match.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:27 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

The cure for wing warp (without resorting to Photoshop) is to ---

A. Cut off and discard the trailing edge glue tabs. This should be done anyway, as the folded thickness of the glue tabs makes the trailing edge too thick. A thin bead of glue without tabs glues the trailing edge up nice and sharp (just make sure that bead of glue is thin).

B. Get the leading edge bend well established and tight, and the curve of the upper surface, so the wing won't be fighting to become unglued.

C. Lay the wing bottom side down on the table and see how the trailing edges match up dry while the bottom stays flat. Any lifting of the bottom is corrected by misaligning the trailing edges until the bottom is dead flat. The misalignment won't be much, but it will be present. Note where the edges meet and that's where you'll lay down the thin glue bead.

D. Glue as indicated. Hold the wing flat on the table as the glue sets.

E. Cut away the misaligned sliver of trailing edge. The lack of twist makes a great looking wing and the slightly "inauthentic" taper is too subtle to be noticeable.

Hope this helps -

Mark Baird
Alameda CA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:59 am 
FG Origami Master

I made the right wing for my Buffalo tonight and I am happy to report complete success. :D I followed my instinct and made a curve or belly in both sides of the wing before bending along the leading edge scored line. Then I glued halfway around the wingtip starting at the leading edge to make sure that the entire front edge would be straight. I followed airportkid's advice to not get too hung up on matching up the wing surfaces at the trailing edge. Instead, I concentrated on keeping the wing straight while it dried. Then I trimmed away the trailing edge overlap. The wing is nice and straight with a realistic stretched teardrop cross section - a bit flatter on the bottom than the top - just like the real thing. I also managed to remove the left wing that I had attached yesterday without any significant fuselage damage. I reprinted a new left wing, and I'll form it using the same procedure. Now that I'm over that hurdle I'm feeling better about the model. Thanks for your responses fellas!

Currently working on: 1/48 Fokker DVII
Recently completed: 1/72 Douglas Skystreak

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:43 am 
Supreme Paper Commander

Glad you found success! Now, onto bigger wings, like the B-36!!!!!

Oh, sorry. That's just mean. Keep up the good work :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:37 am 
Paper Model CINC

On a related subject, I've also found that a good way to get nice straight (unwarped) trailing edges is to place something - a book, say - on them after glueing. Let it set properly, then afterwards you've got a perfectly flat trailing edge :D.