Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:49 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Douglas DC-9
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:36 am 
Paper Model CINC

I'm in the process of building the Douglas DC-9 jet airliner. I've built the fuselage and wings ok and fitted them both together without any problems. The fairings (oh how I hate fairings!) are proving to be a bit of a headache though.

The model has two sets on each side - regular i.e. they go all the way round the wing, and underwing. I initially fitted the underwing fairings first as indicated on the parts sheet, these give the characteristic 'bulges' where the bottom of the wing meets the fuselage. So far so good. But when I came to fit the regular fairings they just didn't seem to, well, fit, over the underwing ones! I also found it odd that both the underwing and regular fairings had markings for where the undercarriage would go, and yet if the regular fairing did indeed fit over the underwing one it would have covered most of the latter's up!? In the end I decided to remove the underwing fairings and just go with the regular ones instead, at least that way I've covered up all the gaps where the wing enters the fuselage. But I suspect I've done something wrong somewhere, and those 'bulges' are not there any more :(.

Anyone else built this model and can offer some advice?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:06 pm 
Paper Model CINC

I designed the DC-9, and originally--there were no 'round the wing' type fairings, just the underwing bulges. The other fairings were added by someone else--probably Chip--and were not part of the original design. He tends to change things as he sees fit. The wing opening in the fuselage should completley fill, if the wings are contoured properly. Use one style or the other--but not both.

Currently working on: see avatar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:36 am 
Paper Model CINC

Aha, that explains everything, thanks Rob :D.

I do think there ought to be something on the instructions or parts sheets about this, though, so as to avoid any future confusion.