Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:26 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Airplane wheels / tires
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:57 pm 
FG Tissue Paper

TIRES / WHEELS
Could a charitable hand help me with wheels/tires. I am trying to make good looking tires on John Dell's Junkers Ju52... What is the proper sequence to make good looking wheels? The little paper strap is always too long or too short... I end up with flat tires! to say the least...

I am seriously thinking of making all my planes with the gear retracted!!! Help!

merci.

Jacques

:( :( :( :evil: :evil: :( :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:15 am 
FG Cutter

Have a look at my post on the modelling tips page - paper wheels. I was also having trouble with FG wheels until I started making a proper former for the tyre. Its really easy to do and boy do you get nice circular wheels with a uniform tyre width. Really strong too.

Regards

Adrian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:28 am 
Paper Model CINC

Adrian's tip works fine for large wheels, but I don't like to build big, and so my technique for wheels is to glue the wheel from the sheet onto a bit of balsa or cardboard (whatever's handy and about the correct width). I cut out the wheel and backing together, glue the opposite side from the sheet to it, and finish up with either black felt pen or the tire tread piece.

To cut nice rounds--I like to start with a straight cut, tangential to the wheel. My following cuts are arcs, also at a tangent to the wheel, until I've returned to the starting point. Maybe twelve to fifteen cuts per wheel. Make sure you keep your knife blade perpendiculat to the work. When cutting curves, the natural tendency is for the blade to angle inwards, into the curve. This works really well with very small wheels, such as tailwheels or the little wheels on regular sized models.

Currently working on: see avatar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:24 am 
Paper Model Overlord

what i always do i glue a couple of sheets of balsa to the wheels, wait for the glue to dry, and the cut the balsa around the wheel and whala
!!! you have a wheel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:23 am 
Supreme Paper Commander

Adrians idea works pretty well and I use it when I can and when the tire size works.

But latley I've been "cheating". I've been going to the local hobby/craft store and buying bags of wooden toy wheels. I've found them in 1/2, 3/4, and 1 inch sizes. When I build a model now with approx. the same size wheels I just blacken them up with a sharpie felt pen and then stick on the middle of the wheels from the model.

Hey, paper is just a form of wood, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:03 pm 
Site Admin

I prefer to think of the wood as a heavier cardstock, say 5000 lb, as opposed to 110 lb. Just don't run it through the printer.