Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:38 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: DC-3, skytrain, fillets
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:39 pm 
FG Tissue Paper

I love building this model, but I have had nothing but grief with those fillets joining the wing to the fuselage. I can never get them to bend in properly and curve around the wing. I always end up with a weird kink in the paper or something else less desireable.
Are there any tips that you can provide me with for these bad boys?
Thanks, chuck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:57 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

Cut slits about 5mm long, spaced about 5mm apart along both edges - this will allow the paper to spread apart slightly along the edges into the compound curve needed. The slits won't show as much as you might think, and a nicely curved fillet will draw the eye's attention more than the slits. Hope that helps - you may have to experiment with several copies of the fillets and slit patterns, dry fitting each of course, until you find the right pattern that gives the best shape.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:59 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

Welcome to the board, by the way!

Post subject: fillets
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:13 pm 
FG Tissue Paper

ok, that sounds great, and how do I go about getting the paper rounded properly around the front of the wing and still keeping that nice inward curve?
these boards are great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:51 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

You have to work the paper a little bit. I usually get the inside roll for the main fillet curve by rolling it a few times over a pencil of the correct diameter. Then, I take the pencil and carefully start rolling the end of the fillet that will wrap around the leading edge. It's kind of like using an English wheel with metal. The more you work the paper into a curve, the more the fibers will take that shape basically.

Welcome to the forum. Cant' wait to see you DC-3 build :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:56 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

Hey, a fellow Canadian! Welcome aboard.

I just build the DC-3, but I'm afraid I can't offer much in the way of advice for those fillets. I found them to be rather hard to work with. I just made sure to get a reallly good curve on them before glueing. Even so, the ends are not right- the front end of the fillet should curve aroudn the edge of the wing and the body, but on mine they kinda ended up glued straight out on the bottom of the wing. I also didnt realize the funny curvy bits on the bottom of the center section of the wings is probably for the ends of the fillets to connect to. I glued them onto the bottom of the body when I glued the wing in place.

the only other advice I can think of is to not be afraid to push the fillet down onto the wing with quite a bit of force. The wing should have lots of give to it.

What part of Canada do you hail from, Chuck? Oh, and which version are you building?

Post subject: fillets
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:59 pm 
FG Tissue Paper

ok, I will give these suggestions a try. Looks like patience and fiddling are in order. Two things I struggle with, ha. I am the guy who tied a hang-glider behind a vehicle to try to fly (no, it did not work).
Thanks