Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:14 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Travel Air, Wheel Boots
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:31 pm 
FG Scorer

Working on a Travel Air Mystery Ship right now, and got it where she'll fly but can't land. Mangled the first set of gears trying to get the boots to look right, any advice before I start the second set?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:51 am 
Paper Model CINC

What weight paper are you using? I had to use 24# bond on my boots so they'd bend right.

Currently working on: FG Wippet 1/72
Recently Completed: FG FT-17 Dio 1/38

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:59 pm 
FG Scorer

Ahh... think I see the problem here, I'm using 110# stock, since my local Wally-World stocks the lighter stuff in neon colors only. So I'm trying to build with about 4 to 5 times heavier paper than you used. That didn't happen to be for one of your 1/144 models or something did it? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:38 pm 
FG Origami Master

Knowing Lep, that is probably for a 1/300 scale job!;) :lol:

But seriously, when having issues with folding petals, whatever the part, lighter weights help lots. I got used to using the 110 pound cardstock and was in for a rude awakening when it came to smaller scales and sized projects or even smaller parts. Trying to roll up the uprights for the dock for the Oyster Shack, the 110 pound stuff delaminated when I tried to get it into the smaller sizes required for an "N" Scale building.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:43 pm 
Paper Model CINC

No, it was off-the -shelf FG, whatever scale that is, but I was using the glossy brochure paper for the model and it just wouldn't bend right. Reprinted the boots on bond and they workd ok then. I put a little lacquer on the later just to match up with the rest of the plane. There's a pic in Lep's Models in "Look what I built". May have to go back a few pages.

Currently working on: FG Wippet 1/72
Recently Completed: FG FT-17 Dio 1/38

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:39 pm 
Paper Model CINC

With card modeling--one size doesn't fit all. You need to have an assortment of paper weights on hand to get things proper. Just like in carpentry, metal working, sewing, etc--you need to have many different materials on hand. I keep cardstock in as many sizes as I can find, as well as light to midweight cardboard, plastic blisters from packaging, round and flat toothpicks and anything else I think might integrate into a model. I avoid Walmart, as their selection is poor, and prefer office supply stores for my supplies. big box places like Staples, Office-Max, etc are competetive in price, too. Smaller independents may charge more, but they'll special order whatever I need....and that's a TRUE bargain.

Currently working on: see avatar