Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:26 am 
FG Tissue Paper

I've been looking at building the FG Sikorsky S-38 and I have some questions about building the fuselage. Has anyone built or attempted to build this model? I've searched the forum and found no mention of the model.

I'm interested in seeing how others have built the enclosed and somewhat complex shaped fuselage shell.. What order did you attach the parts? How best to reach the glue tabs? etc..........

Anyone?

Thanks,
Swampfox

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:02 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

hey there Swampy! I'd figured that you had that all figured out after your S-39. I honestly have no idea about the S-38 though. All the wing struts have given me nightmares just thinking about them. Too many for me. I wish you luck though good sir :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:22 pm 
FG Tissue Paper

willygoat wrote:
hey there Swampy! I'd figured that you had that all figured out after your S-39. I honestly have no idea about the S-38 though. All the wing struts have given me nightmares just thinking about them. Too many for me. I wish you luck though good sir :mrgreen:

Yo, Willygoat. I learned a lot building the S-39, but that fuselage gave me fit's and start's from the beginning. And the S-38 is no easier. I can get it done, but it may not be pretty. I'm just wondering if anyone here has any better suggestions on how to build it differently/easier....... If not, then I need to just settle in and 'git 'er dun'....

I'll just let this thread run it's course and I'll see if anyone has any better ideas.

later,
Swampfox

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:20 am 
Paper Model Overlord

I haven't built this model but staring at the parts sheet awhile this is the approach I'd start with myself:

0. Score every fold & bend line before doing anything.

1. Attach the fwd deck, working your way from the windscreen fwd to the tip, both sides simultaneously to maintain symmetry.

2. Do NOT glue the nose tip joint tab - not yet.

3. Attach the windscreen.

4. Glue together the aft fuselage spine.

5. Double the notches in the glue tabs aft - that's a sharp bend & can use the added flexibility.

6. Attach the aft upper fuselage to both sides, working your way aft on both sides simultaneously to maintain symmetry.

7. Do NOT glue the aft fuselage tail end joint tab - not yet. This leaves the fuselage still somewhat flexible so you can get the hull planing surfaces attached.

8. Cut the glue tabs OFF the fwd fuselage sides. This will make a more natural appearing joint.

9. Cut the fwd hull planing surface piece with a margin that you'll notch into the glue tabs to take the place of the ones you cut off the fuselage.

10. Glue the fwd hull planing spine together and give the joint a sharp crease.

11. Glue its connection to the bulkhead.

12. Attach it to the fuselage, starting at the bulkhead, working your way up both sides simultaneously to maintain symmetry.

13. NOW glue the tip tab & squeeze the fuselage tip closed.

14. Crease the aft planing surface spine and glue it to the bulkhead.

15. Attach it to the fuselage, again, working aft both sides simultaneously to maintain symmetry.

16. Finally, glue the tail tab and squeeze the fuselage tail closed.

Because I haven't actually built this I can't promise this is the best way or even a workable way - but it is how I would begin. Hope it does work - let us know the results!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:49 pm 
FG Tissue Paper

airportkid wrote:
I haven't built this model but staring at the parts sheet awhile this is the approach I'd start with myself:

0. Score every fold & bend line before doing anything.

1. Attach the fwd deck, working your way from the windscreen fwd to the tip, both sides simultaneously to maintain symmetry................................................

15. Attach it to the fuselage, again, working aft both sides simultaneously to maintain symmetry.

16. Finally, glue the tail tab and squeeze the fuselage tail closed.

Because I haven't actually built this I can't promise this is the best way or even a workable way - but it is how I would begin. Hope it does work - let us know the results!

Thanks for the detailed instructions. I've printed them and have started to look them over carefully to make sure I understand them clearly.

When I get started on this model, I'll follow them and see how things go... I see several ideas that I'd not thought of that make sense to me...So, I'll let you know how they work for me.

Appreciate your help,

Swampfox

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:38 pm 
FG Tissue Paper

Airportkid, just a quick note to let you know that I finished the S-38 and I posted picts of the finished model over in the "look what I built" section.

Thanks for your advice, some of it worked well, and some things didn't. On the 3rd try I finally got a nice looking fuselage. I added 3 bulkheads to the fuselage as it appeared to want to warp as soon as I started adding wings, struts etc.....

Stop by and check out the finished model and thanks again for your suggestions,

Swampfox

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:07 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

That's superb work, Swampfox!

If you remember what worked and what didn't you could annotate the blurb I made, then post it here as a PROVEN guide to assembling the fuselage.

Great stuff!