Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:44 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Piper Cub Problems
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:25 am 
Paper Model Overlord

I find myself in need of help on the Piper Cub. I’m as green as gress to the card models. I did a few plastic years earlier but card is different. I picked the Piper Cub because I thought it would be the easiest one to start with. Maybe wrong. I stated with the wing. Got it cut out alright but it how it goes together. There is a slit in the wing on one side. It reads glue tab first. Trim as needed. Glue to what?
One the trailing edge it read score, fold & glue. Glue to other trailing edge? And then there are the tabs at the fuselage. No clue where they go. So as you can see I’m a real noob and a 1000% one at that. I had no idea it was going to be this hard. I hope I didn’t get into something that’s over my head. Thanks for any help any one can offer. OMG!!!

Post subject: Re: Piper Cub Problems
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:27 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

Hey there again. I posted a bit of advise on the papermodelers forum the other day.

Let me see if I can figure out your problem. From what I read, you had three main concerns. Let's start with the wing tabs.

- On the trailing edge (lower side I think) of the wings there is a long glue tab. You need to score that tab so that it will bend up and glue to the trailing edge that mirrors it (top side, same end of wing). Do that first for both sides of the wing.

- The part that it talks about trimming is the wing tip I believe. Once you get the wing formed and in the proper airfoil shape, glue the wing tips together. I think Chip purposely put a little extra material there to make sure the tips would close. Once the glue on the tips is set, trim the edges around the wing tip to make a nice flush look. Sometimes you only need to trim a millimeter or two.

- The glue tabs on top of the fuselage get glued to each other. On one of the tabs it says "Don't score or bend". That is because the other flap from the other side of the fuselage folds over top and lines up along the line. Once those flaps are secure, you glue the wings on top of that section.

I hope that makes sense and does something for you . I don't quite have enough time to do a photo instruction right now. Good luck to ya! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:18 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

Although I haven't yet built it, the Fairchild PT-26 looks like a much easier model to build than the Cub. Its wing is one piece, there are no struts, no rigging; even the landing gear is simpler than the Cub's. The PT-26 is a looker, too, a sleek design with an aesthetically pleasing tapered wing that looks fast just sitting on the shelf.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:24 am 
Paper Model Overlord

Thank you willygoat. You’ve answer most of my questions but still in my mind (what there is there) I'm still finding it a bit of a puzzle about how the wings and center section go together. Sorry to have been away for a while. I had to set my card model aside for a while due to migraines but I wanted to thank you all the same. I’ll get back on it as soon as I can. Much thanks.
Willygoat. I see what you mean about the PT-26. Maybe in yellow and blue like a Stearman PT-17 which I would really love to build. I never thought of the Fairchild, you might have something. All great ideas. Wish I was back at my hobby table right now. wc