Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:00 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:36 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

Not a trouble question but I was wondering what is the scale for the Aircraft Hanger. It will be my next project if I ever get this d**n Piper Cub done. All in good time I guess. My reason for the question about the scale is I will want to buy a couple of pine trees for it from a hobby store. As there are none around me I will have to do the internet thing. Thank you for your help guys. wc

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:14 am 
Paper Model Overlord

The Hangar can be downloaded at HO, N or Z scale, none of which match the scale of even the regular sized FG aircraft (for which reason each of the hangar downloads comes with its own collection of 5 matching scale aircraft - the Z scale versions requiring a borrowed electron microscope to assemble). Taking the HO scale hangar sheets to Kinkos and having them printed at twice their size onto 11x17 cardstock should produce a hangar that will more or less match the regular sized FG aircraft. If you have Photoshop or some other imaging software you can do the magnifying yourself, then arrange the bigger pieces so they'll fit onto 8.5x11 paper (although I think the roof might need to be split in two in order to fit).

Hangars are built in all sizes - there's no real standard - so any magnification/reduction of the hangar to match a diorama will be realistic.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:27 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

Thanks airportkid, what a stupid I am. When I looks at the folder there in it's says HO. As that would be the largest of the 3 I will do that one next is I ever finish my Piper Cub. I called a hobby store near by and they said they had a lot of different kinds of HO scale trees but no pine. I might have to setttle but that's life. I asked the person at the hobby store if they had supplies for card stock modeling and he had no idea what I was talking about. Wow! I have been wondering who it's possible to increase the size of an model to get the part to fit even it talk more pages.
Another thing I have a problem with is if I need just one part on a page I end up printing out the whole page. What I would like to do is select the one part and place more then one on a page so if I screw up I have another ready to cut but I don't know if that possible and keep the scale the same. I tried it by doing a copy of one part(propeller)and paste into word. I printed it out and it was a different size. Not sure you understand what I'm trying to say.This is a hard one to explain. You can't see my hands moving. Thank you for your kind reply and help airportkid. wc

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:20 am 
Supreme Paper Commander

If you have Photoshop or GIMP (it's free!), you can open the PDF file, select the part, and copy and paste it onto it's own page. Plus, you can put a whole bunch of the same piece on a page. It is important to line up the part on the new page in the same direction it is on the original. The grain of a piece of paper generally goes the long way. So, if the original has a piece that is is to be rolled oriented with the grain of the paper, you need to replicate that on the copy. Make sense?

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 2:13 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

Thank you willy, I do have Photoshop and one other program Adobe Photoshop Elements 9 which is a lot easier and one I use with my digital photos. Super great idea. BTW, I have been looking at your builds. You have some great models there and here I am struggling with my Piper Cub but I will get her no matter hos many times it takes. Thanks willy. wc