Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 9:56 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Yakovlev Yak 3
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:02 pm 
FG Folder

Overall the Yak 3 model is a good start to my efforts to improve my skill level in paper modeling. However has anyone come across a few glitches in the construction? One problem was that both wing fairings are about 4 mm too short. After adding the missing length, I was able to lay in the fairing over the wing joint, but still came up short as far as how the front of the fairings sat on the wing. I finally had to adjust the scoop so that it sat more on top than required. The scoops should be placed more in front of the wing.

Another problem area was the bottom scoop underneath the fuselage. It didn't lay up against the fuselage due to the angle of the vertical walls being to much. I added the necessary cardstock to make a new angle. That worked.

The last major problem I had was the tail section. After gluing it together, I noticed the it had a twist in it towards the rear. The back end leaned towards the left, if you look at it from the front towards the back. To correct this, I had to gently apply pressure to toward the opposite side to get it to lean more towards the upright position. It is much better now. You can still see just a hint that it is off though, but no big deal. I saw why the tail is leaning and it is because gluing the fuselage together created a twist at the backend. Is it better to glue the fuselage starting at the tail end and finishing at the front, or should I begin at the front and go down the fuslage towards the tail? :?

This turned out to be more of a challenge than I thought it would be, but I am happy with my results. :o It is not showroom quality, but I like it. :)

Post subject: Re: Yakovlev Yak 3
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:25 am 
Supreme Paper Commander

You have encountered some of the many wonders of using paper as a modeling medium. As I haven't built the Yak-3 yet, I'm not sure about the wing fairings and the radiator on the underside. Most of the time, parts like that take a bit of pre-rolling and forming.

You did build the fuselage in the correct order. That's one of the areas that you have to be really careful and take your time on. I usually dry-fit all of the fuselage sections before final assembly to check for alignment issues. DId you glue the vertical tail to the end fuselage section, and then add that section to the rest of the plane? That might be part of the troubles you had. Try leaving the tail surfaces and other bits off until the main fuselage is dry and set.