Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:20 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: C-47 help.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:00 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

I need a good close up of the land gear of the C-47 if any one has one from the FG model. I'm stuck. wc

Last edited by Wad_Cutter on Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: C-37 help.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:55 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

I'll put something together for you tomorrow and post some pics.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:21 am 
Supreme Paper Commander

Here's what I came up with. I hope it helps resolve your building trouble Waddy.

First, cut out the basic parts ( I already built the engine nacelle and wheel)

Then, pre-bend the lading gear leg parts- 2 forward/2 backward

Next, Carefully line up and glue the two halves for each direction together

Then, Glue the two halves together. You should now have a double sided leg assembly. Trim any edges that are showing.

Next, I like to give the wheel an axle when I do this model. It makes the gear considerably stronger. I take a piece of wire (paper clip) and cut it to length, matching the width of the gear legs at the wheel position.

Then, pierce a hole in the center of the wheel hub and push the wire through

Next, glue the wire into the elbow of the folded gear legs. (forgot to take a picture of this, sorry)

Now, glue the gear legs onto the engine nacelle. Note the placement of the legs to the "opening: marked on the nacelle.

Hope that helps!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:34 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

Looks like I made a left turn and I should have made a right or not leave the gas station at all. That I think really explains the landing gear question I had . Only problem is what parts I do have cut I have assembled assways backwards, upside down. No worries, I wasn't all that happy with the struts I had and will print, cut and do again. I know there is no way to make it perfect but I insist that it be closer if not better then what I have now. Thanks coach. You are amazing. Firing up the printer now.
BTW, can I ask where you found the model of the 111? That aircraft is a hoot and a have to fly in IL-2 with a torpedoes on a bombing mission. That is if I get in close enough to drop it. Between the low speed just above stalling speed, distance off the deck and drooping it so it has enough time to arm is the other side of the problem/ It's still a hoot.
Thank you Willy again for all the help. This thing is a hard model to build as it is. Has anyone ever thought about going over some of these models to add better directions for modelers such as myself? This one model is a lot hard then I first thought but I would still have gone through with the build. With out Coach it would have been a lot harder. No tears when this puppy of done. Thanks, john

I need to send you a e-mail of the tail graphic I would like yo use on her. I really need to hear from you on this before I drop this bomb shell. I had a close friend of mine make it for me for this aircraft. It kills the surprise factor but I rather do that then offend if you know what I mean. wc

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:14 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

Waddy,
If you look closely at the pictures, you can see where I goofed. I was in a hurry to put this together this morning and initially attached the gear legs at the front on the gear bay, not the rear. You can see the glue blob. Oops!

The He-111 is by Aaron Murphy (OddBall Productions). It might eventually be offered here, but for now, you can get it at Ecardmodels.
http://www.ecardmodels.com/index.php/1- ... model.html

Feel free to send the image. You have my email.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:50 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

Thank you Willy. I just sent you a e-mail about the tail logo I would be honored if you would allow me to use it. Please let me know and thank you again. wc

PS-can I ask you how long it took you to cut out those 8 new struts? In 1:167 scale these things are so d**n small.

Post subject: Re: C-47 help.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:12 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

Go right ahead with the logo. I thin it's pretty d@%n awesome.

I think it took me just shy of a couple of hours to do the whole build and posting of pictures. I'd guess that cutting out the legs was about 40 minutes or so. I'm rather particular and precise, even when building "fast".

And, I only did four struts. So, double that to about an hour 20 for the whole shebang.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:39 am 
Paper Model Overlord

It takes me a very long time to cut out these struts. I habe one so far and 3 that broke apart that I glued to repair. I find these cutting very hard and that's why I call it a "Right of Passage". I will get it done. It just takes me a while. Is it the scale I am in? Sorry to bug you about this. I'm trying Coach. Thank you. wc

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:43 am 
Supreme Paper Commander

If you're building the model any smaller than the original size, then yeah. It's already pretty small cuts in the 1:60 that it comes in.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:21 am 
Paper Model Overlord

Yep that's the scale I have it in. So far I have 3 cut out clean and about 5 in glue repair mode. I don't know if I can save them and use yet. With the migraines I get I only have a few hours a day that I can do this fine a cutting. It will be a lot better after the eye operations next month. I'm learning Coach. Time fly's when I'm having all this fun. Really, this hobby really helps when I can get into it. I can't think about the migraine and the hobby at the same time. It's one or the other. wc

PS- your tutorial on the landing gear is perfect. You really explained it perfectly and the photos really help a lot. Any one who ever builds this or any other tail draggier gear will be able to do so now. I just couldn't see and understand from the image on the page. Can I ask what you used to take the photos?

Also- I noticed the gear bay area on your engine nacelle looks like you have a lot more eye candy then in mine. I really like the detail. Did you do the touch up by hand or Photo-Shop? Thank you Coach.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:59 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

My camera is just an old Cannon point-and-shoot that we've had for a few years. I just use the macro (flower icon) setting when I take model pics. That and lots of light.

As far as the gear bay goes, that's what is on the page I printed. I didn't modify the model at all. Not sure if that was changed recently. I'm using the same file I downloaded years ago.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:39 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

Howdy Willy, I’m at that point of doing the gluing of the struts to the aircraft engine nacelles. I started with trimming a little of the surplus of glue from the two halves. Next will be the placement of the wheels and then the one half over the other strut half sealing in the tires. When you said you “goofed by gluing the gear legs at the front on the gear bay, not the rear” I don’t understand the placement of where you meant. Sorry if it seems like I have to have everything spelled out to me. I’m real close to having her completed and don’t want to screwing this up now and have to re-due all eight struts all over again. Can you show me what you meant as to where these struts go? Another thing too is about my eyes. I’m slated for eye surgery on the seventh of next month and this is really having an effect on my eyes. I have to take breaks more often then normal. Between the eyes and the migraines is taking a toll on me. Once the surgery is finished I hope it will help me to see better. I love modeling and would be lost without it. I’m learning Coach and would be lost without this hobby and all the kelp you and others have been kind enough to offer me. I will take lots of photos once all is done. Very close at this point and I would like it to look as close to perfect as I can make these two aircraft look. This mini diorama will look very nice above my gaming PC. Looking forward to this. If you could explained where in the engine bay these struts are glued into. Thank you Coach. wc

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:31 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

Waddy,

If you look at the second-to-last photo a couple posts above, you can see where the legs are mounted. The two-legged yoke part mounts at the rear of the blackened gear bay (when it is still wide), and the single leg strut attaches at the end of the black strip, near the rear tip of the nacelle.

I hope that explains it better. I really hope the surgery goes well and helps out with the eyes and the headaches. I get migraines every couple of months from bad allergies, but I couldn't begin to imagine what you have been going through. Get better soon Waddy!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:57 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

Thank you Coach. I wasn't sure . Just slide the landing gear struts forward to the other end of the landing gear bay. I was a bit confused there. Thanks Coach.
I had to go into SF this morning for a Ultra Sound on both eyes. One last doctor visit next Friday and the first eye on the 7th and 2 to 6 weeks after that for the second eye and new reading glasses. The migraines are a whole different thing. I get Cluster Migraines and way to often. What really upsets me is how they take me away from this great hobby plus the pain. Thank Willy. wc