Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:35 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:38 am 
FG Folder

Any progress on your rigging yet? Can't wait to see it.

caddmann05

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:57 am 
FG Cutter

No, I haven't quite decided how to approach the rigging -- I'm experimenting with thin silver thread stiffened with CA and then cut to length.

Hopefully that will do it, but I haven't quite got the hang of it yet. I've tried stretching the thread by attaching a weight on the end to pull the fibers tightly and applying a few drops of superglue, but a few "bumps" appear in the thread.

Any suggestions as to how to stiffen the thread?

Willie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:07 am 
Paper Model Overlord

On the subject of rigging, is using very thin wire ok or does it have to be with thread? My reason for asking that I finished my Red and White GeeBee with wire and I thought it looked good. No photos yet till I have the Yellow and Black one complete. wc

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:55 am 
FG Cutter

WC, do you know what gauge wire you used? I don't have anything smaller that 24 gauge wire readily available, so that's why I was trying thread.

Also, were you able to find the prop template on the papermodelers.com web site?

regards,
Willie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:48 pm 
FG Origami Master

I have also heard of using paint brush bristles. Boar bristle brushes have black and are natural, but you can get cheap nylon bristle brushes in white and pink (maybe you can color them) and one brush should have enough "hair" to last a life time. They are also stiffer than thread and straight. Always meant to try them but never have gotten around to it.

Also I was reading the other night that you can coat cotton thread with white glue and let it dry which stiffens it very nicely and takes care of the fuzzies problem. Another thing I need to try especially when I go to rig the San Salvador sailing ship I am currently working on.

Beard

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:03 am 
FG Folder

I've used thread with CA glue also, and putting a weight on the end to help stiffen the line. I found that for me it made the line to stiff and I was not able to get a good connection between the start and end points on the wings and fuselage.

I tried white glue and the glue seemed to bead up to much on the line, so I gave that up. Perhaps I should have diluted the glue more water to get a more watery consistency.

I have tried fishing line. I coated the line with enamel, water based paint, magic maker, but I still had problems with the colored coating coming off in my handling the line.

So I stick with thread, and not the cheap dollar store variety, use a good cotton thread, it will cut down on the frizzy look. I have now found a metallic thread, but that seems a bit too shiny, so I will experiment with coloring the line to get a more realistic color.

Refer to my posting on the Albatros, and the Sopwith Camel to get a more detailed description on how I do the rigging. It will be in the "Look What I Built" listing. I hope this helps.

caddmann05

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:44 am 
FG Cutter

Thanks for the tips, everyone.

Willie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:21 am 
Paper Model Overlord

Quote:
"WC, do you know what gauge wire you used? I don't have anything smaller that 24 gauge wire readily available, so that's why I was trying thread.
Also, were you able to find the prop template on the papermodelers.com web site?"

On the clear plastic tube the wire comes in it says .020 wire. The gauge I have doesn't go down below .040. The ACE Hardware store I go to has several different small gauges of wires. I use the different gauge of wires on struts, supports and rigging for the wings and anywhere a model might need support and a place where I can hide the wire with in the model. I hope that helps you on the wire you might need and as for the prop on PM, there are many there. What I was hoping for was a link to the one you used. That looks great to me. I was hoping for the same one you made. wc

PS-I did wind a way I could measure the thickness of that wire and it is .20