Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:03 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:13 am 
Supreme Paper Commander

Hi all.

I was going to build the Minimoa glider when I spotted an odd thing with the wings. On both the left and right wings are big number/letter designations. But on one wing, part of the designation is faded out. On the other wing, they arnt.

the faded out part on one wing coincides with what appear to be semi-translucent panels. It would make some sense for both wings to have this fading, but they dont.

So, the question is, should they stay as they are, or both be all solid, or both be faded over the panels?

I suspect they should both be faded, but I cant be sure as I havent found any good pictures on the web to confirm that.

Anyone have any ideas?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:52 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

Tim_in_Winnipeg wrote:
... should they stay as they are, or both be all solid, or both be faded over the panels? I suspect they should both be faded, but I cant be sure as I havent found any good pictures on the web to confirm that.

I just looked at the pictures on the FG Minimoa web page and it's pretty clear that the fading represents the portion of insignia on the translucent panels, so you'll have to Photoshop the unfaded markings to be consistent.

HOWEVER, since the insignia is jet black, I think fading it where it's on the translucent portion of the panels is a misrepresentation of what it would really look like, which is uniform jet black regardless of opacity or translucence of the panels. So, to mimic reality, I'd use a black Sharpie to unfade the faded portion, and thereby avoid having to Photoshop anything.

Test my theory: glue a piece of clear acetate so it overhangs something opaque, then use a black Sharpie to make a blot that straddles the overhang and take it out and look at it in sunlight. You'll see NO alteration in the blot's uniform blackness - it won't look "grey" on the overhanging portion. I'd bet a dinner on it.

Mark Baird
Alameda CA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:36 am 
Supreme Paper Commander

You are probably right...unless its some kind of fading affect that happens due to prolonged sunlight on the panels of the actual glider.

I'm still not sure what to do. Fading both would look rather kool, as it would emphases the panels; but as you say it might be incorrect.

I suppose I could drop a email into Chips box and ask him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:02 pm 
Botbuster Master

geesh...you guys a re picky...this is comin from a guy that puts wings on backwards though...lol :lol: :lol: :lol:

Take your time leavin.....but hurry back!!!!
Every tub has to sit on its own bottom!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:19 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

Tim_in_Winnipeg wrote:
You are probably right...unless its some kind of fading affect that happens due to prolonged sunlight on the panels of the actual glider.

I'm still not sure what to do. Fading both would look rather kool, as it would emphases the panels; but as you say it might be incorrect.

Any fading due to U/V will affect the entire insignia evenly, not just the portion on the translucent portion of the wing panel.

My suggestion, if you're up to it, for maximum "realness", is ignore changing the insignia (make it all evenly jet black), and instead photoshop the translucent portion of the wing panels as follows:

1. Soften the rib lines by blurring them.

2. Very subtly just barely grey the downsun side of every interrib section. (do NOT "flip" this for the opposite wing - it has to be done by hand for BOTH wings as the downsun shadowing is of course all on one side).

3. Finally, put a very thin but blurred darker grey line just off center and downsun on each rib to mimic seeing the dark side of the rib through the translucent panel - you can also trace a similar dark edging for the leading edge paneling. Done right it will make the sections look like they're translucent.

If you're REALLY fanatic you can fabricate a bunch of built up ribs and build the wing as a true miniature of the real thing, then cover it with thin acetate rubbed with a Scotchbrite pad to make it translucent instead of transparent. But that's getting into geek territory not even I venture into, at least not without guides!

However you decide to go, you see that in all cases the insignia stays jet black throughout.

Good luck!!

Mark Baird
Alameda CA