Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:31 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: travelair mystery ship
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:12 am 
FG Origami Master

while assembling a FG travelAir, I noticed the airplane decal on the tail fin appears to be inverted. Is this intentional?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:51 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

Tahutihotep wrote:
while assembling a FG travelAir, I noticed the airplane decal on the tail fin appears to be inverted. Is this intentional?

Some preliminary poking around in Google seems to indicate that the starboard side of the fin had an inverted insignia, whilst the port side insignia was upright. I believe it spelled "Travelair" in the shape of the Mystery's profile - and I'm sure that if the starboard profile was of an inverted airplane, the spelling of Travelair was still upright. But I couldn't find any detailed photos with enough resolution to tell for sure.

UPDATE --- Go to the search page at www.airliners.net and type N482N as the keyword - you'll get about 5 nice photos of Jim Younkin's replica that clearly show the starboard fin logo as an inverted profile. It doesn't appear to spell anything - looks like just stylized artwork. I'd guess the original artist made one template for that logo back in 1929 and couldn't afford the time (or expense) of hand making its mirror image, so applied it inverted on the starboard side so the "airplane" would be pointed in the direction of flight. That it was inverted probably appealed to the whole "mystery" image too.

Mark Baird
Alameda CA