Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:26 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Fidelity of scale (?)
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 1:48 pm 
FG Tissue Paper

I'm having a bit of a quandry as to scale changing. Let me say first that I have pretty well looked over previous posts but am still in a bit of a fog. The crux of my problem is that I wish to build my air forces in 1/48 scale (or as close as possible) as I already have a start in that scale in plastic. I have built the FG 0-1 both in published scale and what I hope is the right reduction to 1/48. (it looks about right) I am now trying to do both the J3 Cub and the L4 Grasshopper. Went through the conversion math, printed and started building. Herein lies the problem, by visual inspection it looks to my eye that the Birddog and the Cub are two different scales. (The Cub being considerably smaller though wing spans seem to be nearly correct matches) So before I use more paper, ink and time I wonder if someone could set me straight. Thanks,
Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 2:39 pm 
Site Admin

Well to start off, do NOT use the wingspan as a source for scaling.

Fiddlersgreen models are more artwork than accurate scale models, and Chip has been known to stretch wings a bit to make the parts sheet look better.

For example, the Horten IV (28" wingspan to scale, we stretched to 36"), and Me-321 (scale 42" wingspan, We figured 48" was a lot better sounding...I think Chip managed to stretch it to 52" or something like that). We went for extreme wingspan, rather than scale accuracy with those models.

It's better to use fuselage length to guage the scale, those are generally kept accurate to the 3-view we are working with (imagine me building a model, then holding it up to the computer monitor with the side view zoomed in to the scale we want it at, and lining everything up).

Recently finished: Moving and getting set up
In progress: Zepellin Staaken (self design)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 4:19 pm 
FG Tissue Paper

What a bummer, and just when I was getting comfortable with building FG planes. I love my Birddog (all the way from Vietnam days) so I did a backward check on the scaling. The wingspan came in around 1:43 and the fuse at about 1:44 so for overall fidelity I give it pretty good marks. I haven't finished my test Cub yet so no fuse length avail, but it looks so out of proportion and unlovely I think I'll give it up. Methinks my paper 1:48 air force is dead in the water. And BTW, thanks for your quick response. Saved alot of building time.
Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 4:25 pm 
FG Tissue Paper

As a post script, since my Birddog does look so nice (to me anyway) I'll go ahead and buildout the balance of them at this 1:48 (?) scale and then move on somewhere else. Maybe by the time I get thru the whole catalog I'll have a museum piece. LOL
Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 6:59 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

philcat- Don't be discouraged by the sometimes inaccurate wing spans. Other than a few exceptions, you cannot tell with most of the models that it is incorrect. I should know, I've built over 150 of them :D To help with the scaling issues, here is a link to a pread sheet that cmags came up with.

http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/fidd ... lator.html

You have to be a member at papermodelers.com to download it, but it's well worth the nothing you'll pay to register. LOTS of info and genius modelers over there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:45 pm 
FG Tissue Paper

Thank you, thank you. (Piper still looks weird but I'll go with it)
Phil