Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:51 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:49 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

Willygoat Sir, I have a question about the vertical stabilizer. It' seems very tight trying to slide it into the tail section. Am I going at this all wrong? I'm afraid if I push it any harder I might tear something. Any ideas before I do? Thanks Coach. wc

PS- Ok, I found where I was going wrong on the tail. I didn't notice that after the tail section is formed there are two places where I can cut so the tail can slide into position. Maybe if I went over everything close I wouldn't have to bug you Coach. wc

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:32 am 
Paper Model Overlord

I'm working on getting the water color pencil's. It won't be for a while yet. I was looking at the nose of my C-47 and didn't care much for it so I will rebuild it over. I'm in no hurry which I learned for you Willy. I have a surprise for you on the tail section. You'll have to wait and want it to look good. Always room to improve. Just a update. wc

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:36 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

No photos for this mess. I am in the 3rd or is it the 4th redo of the C-47 FG. Different ideas in place on the model that I have not met as of yet. I'm still building. If I get any more photos of something I like I will post. wc

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:29 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

keep trucking along Waddy. It'll come eventually. The C-47 is a tad tricky, but turns out nice when done. You can do it! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:45 pm 
FG Folder

I had a very tough time with the c-47. It never stemmed to fit quite right. But eventually I did finish it. It was however one of the most frustrating builds for me. Sorry no pics. Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:40 am 
Paper Model Overlord

I understand what your saying about the C-47 idoitall. It's a real tough one but my mother had to have been the Grumman Duck. That one almost made me nuts. I know I can get this one. It's just a matter of time, paper and glue and the right people behind you. We all need a little bit of help and a lot of luck. Thanks for the input as I rebuild the tail section again. And again, and again. wc

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:45 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

Howdy Coach, well I have yet another question which I'm comforted about and the longer I go over it and keep reading leaves even more com fused. I'm starting to explore the landing gear. I can see the are 8 parts to this and as I look at the instructions I can see where there are 4 halves to each but on the 4th sheet just below the pic on the landing gear it shows 4 flat lines and it rad "four layers" which tends to make me think each part of them is glued together. Now I know that has to be wrong. Maybe I looking at one thing and thinking of something else. As I looking each one of the 8 I tend to think they are cut out and folded over but when I look back at the pic on the same page it looks like two different parts to each landing gear strut.???? wc

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 3:30 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

On the landing gear issue, you do actually layer up four pieces for each side. Two facing one way, and two the opposite way. That way, you have printed detail on both visible sides of the gear assemblies. What works best, is to cut out two individual pieces first, then glue them onto the second piece (for front/back). Then cut out the layered piece once the glue has dried. Be sure to get a good, clean score on the axel locations. Bend the doubled pieces in opposite directions. Fit the pieces together, and then trim the overlapping areas to clean up the openings.

If displaying the gear down, I recommend using a piece of wire (paper clip) for the axel, and you can glue that in between the layers.

The extra gear pieces on page 7 are for fitting skis to the plane, like in Rob's R4D version.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:56 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

Holly crap!!! I remember when you were talking about the recyclers of the Stearmen being a b#%@ch because of how many there was and had to be done just right. The struts are killers. After this I can start operating on human brains. Maybe I will start on my own first. These cuts are so small and tinny for big fart fingers like mine but I will find a way. After all I have to to give me all the help I need. Always good to know your standing by in the wings Willy Sir. wc/john

May 19th Update:
Again I say Gerrrrr! 8 of these, really? There muct be a easier way throught this for land gear struts. I'll keep digging Coach. wc

PS - Update May 26th

These things are killers. Even when you think you got it, you don't. It just takes time of which I have a lot. I hope. These have to be one of the hardest items to cut uot. I'm getting there. This is not a Road Runner hobby is it? wc

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:54 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

I Got It!!!
I was reading over again about thelanding gear and I swear it was like a bright light going off. I got it, how the landing should look and now why. Sorry Coach to be so dim witted. wc

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 4:50 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

You're not dim. I wasn't sure that I explained it thoroughly enough. I'm glad it makes sense and I can't wait to see what you come up with.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 10:01 am 
Paper Model Overlord

It never was that you didn't explained correctly, it was my inability to see all of the trees because the forest was in the way thing. I was looking at it too hard and the answer was in front of me all the time but with out your explanation, I would seal be looking at it if I hadn't kept reading with you said. I would be lost with out ya Coach. Hope you have a great weekend. john

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:59 am 
Paper Model Overlord

Hi Coach, yes another question about the C-47. The engines are almost done and now I find myself in a bit pf a pickle. The spinner hub. Can I ask what you did to make yours. I thought at one point I saw something made of paper. Thanks again for the help. wc

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:20 am 
FG Origami Master

What I do is make a long narrow rectangle, then trim one side so it is taller on one end than the other (say 1/2" on one end 3/8" on the other). Then just roll it up tight, keeping the bottom flat. This will make the top of the hub taper down slowly like it is round. Then if you feel real arty you can coat it with super glue and sand it down smooth when it is dry. You can then color it any way you want to.

Beard

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:54 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

I cheated on mine. I used the spinner hubs from the B-24 kits that were updated by John Dell. I believe page 13 has the spinner hubs. Just wrap'em around a toothpick.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next