Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:23 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:52 am 
Paper Model Overlord

Doesn't anything in my life go easy or what. I down/loaded the latest and greatest B-24 just in case and in the Versions models on my page 13 it shows wing spar info and the page before it show the props and how to make the spinner but no where in the pages could I find the spinner. I did try ti roll a tight shaft of paper. I did 3 different sizes just in case. They are drying. I like the spinner on the B-24. That could be sanded into the right shape. It would take a little bit if sanding and holding your tongue just right but I think I can do it. Option, I love options. Where would we be with out options?Any chance the B-24 I have and the one you have are different in the spinner area? Thanks guys. wc

I found a=n idea in the B-17 model where a Q-Tip was soaked in glue and shaped and allowed to dry. After which I would sand till I had what I was looking for to use in the spinner hub. Another great idea.

Crazy Idea: What about the other bombers there are? There muc=st be one in that group don't ya think. I'm down and a hunting.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:27 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

My bad Waddy. The prop parts are on page 4! That's what I get for typing without checking first. The strips for the hubs are on the right side of page 4. Cut each strip along the white line. The straight piece goes behind the prop (pg 12) and the angled piece goes in front. Roll from the big end to the small end of the angled piece. It'll turn out nicely if you take your time and get a smooth roll.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:46 pm 
FG Folder

I have been following your build, and I am anxious to see updated pictures. Looking forward to them. Post pics when you can.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:51 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

Far from complete. Props, landing gear and the radio ant. to go yet. wc

\
I have to be very careful when showing photos of the tail at this point due to the surprise I have on the tail section. I can't wait till I start construction on the next C-47 as it will be in 1:28 scale. Oh joy! wc

Last edited by Wad_Cutter on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:44 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

Looking good so far! Keep going :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:55 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

Once started I have to finish it. I had a question about these 8 landing gear struts. Is this like a "Right of Passage"? I;m still hung up on them. In 1;167 scale. These are very small on these tired old eye which might get a over haul soon. They keep breaking on the last few cuts. Theses suckers are hard Coach. wc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:46 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

Maybe try running a light coat of glue (the regular stuff) over the parts you have already cut, and over the tiny parts around your last cuts. That might help hold it together and strengthen what is already cut. Another thing I do is make sure that when cutting in tight spaces, like the landing gear legs, I always cut out from each corner. That means I have to turn the piece for each corner and cut, but that ensures that I don't over cut a side that has a thin side to it.

clear as mud?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:23 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

I have painted with the Aleene's Fast Grab Tacky Glue in the purple and white bottle after completed the cuttings and for repairs. Trying not to use to much. This last time around I tried painting the with the same glue to the front and back of the landing gear struts(only) and allowing it to dry fro two days. I haven;t started the cutting yet, maybe today. I hope I'm using the right glue for this. Do you know which of the Aleene's glues is the thinnest? I'm also thinking about placing short pieces of .020 wire in side the struts. Even with a glue coating they don't seem very strong. wc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:23 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

The thinnest would probably be the gel, then the original in the gold bottle I'd have to guess.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:57 am 
Paper Model Overlord

Thank you Coach. One of the few times I have just what the Doc. was talking about. I have the Gold. the Gel and the the clear Max Tacky Adhesive. I have noticed that the Gel takes a while longer to to dry then the white glues. See Coach, I'm out here listening. The Sun might set last on our coast of the lower 48 but that doesn't mean we are sleeping on the job. Thanks a again. wc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:16 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

Bad news Coach. The gel interacts with the ink. It's worst then when I had a problem white Elmer's White crap. So I have to start from a new on the struts. I didn't even noticed till I put my head mag. on. With out it I can;t see it at all. Back to the grind tomorrow. Who knew? wc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:08 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

Yikes! Sorry about that. Then I'd say try super glue. I use it to plastisize (sp?) parts quire frequently. Same process, light coats.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:18 am 
Paper Model Overlord

Looks like another trip to the craft store. I didn't see any super anything the last time I went. Thanks Coach for the tip. That is just the effect I was going for. No worries I'll do a little test first which I normally do first. wc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:48 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

It might help to get a couple of kinds. Regular CA glue is a bit runny, and works for making light joints. Gel glues work well for holding heavier pieces and for some moderate gap filling.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:31 am 
Paper Model Overlord

So here is where I am so far. Every thing but the landing gear. But I have a major problem trying to really see what this thing looks like form the drawing on the page. How do the two struts join after they are all glued to each other? Any help on this one Coach? Got a really cool surprise for you on the tail end of this thing for ya. wc

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next