Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:42 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: jusfiddlin's models
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:15 pm 
FG Origami Master

At long last my Brewster Buffalo is finished! This was my first Fiddler's Green model and I really enjoyed the build. I got the file years ago as a free download from somewhere in cyber space, but never got around to tackling it. My loss - I wish now I had built it sooner. The plane would have been in WSAM scale if I printed it at 100% but I wanted a 1/72 scale model, so I printed it on 120 lb card stock at 83.33%. The thick paper increased the build challenge at this smaller scale, but I'm reasonably happy with the final product.

I understand that this is one of FG's older and easier models, so it probably was a good choice to get my feet wet. The only build problem I had was my first attempt in forming a wing, and that was due to my stubborn insistence on lining up the trailing edge no matter how warped the wing got. With some sound advice from FG forum members, I was able to get it right the next time.

I was planning to build it stock, but I just couldn't control myself, and wound up adding a few enhancements, as you can see. This one is depicted in flight, mounted on a FG stand. At some point I may build a wheels down version of the Buffalo, displayed on a bit of flight deck. I think I'm going to build FG's Piper Cub "Grasshopper" next, also in 1/72 scale. After that, I don't know. I'd like to stick to WWII fighters for a while. If anyone would like to recommend one that they've had personal build experience with, I'd welcome suggestions.

Pics aren't the best. I have a dated digital camcorder, and my Photoshop skills are rudimentary.

From the front

From the rear

With the FG stand (hidden in the darkness)

A closeup of some of the extra detailing.

Currently working on: 1/48 Fokker DVII
Recently completed: 1/72 Douglas Skystreak

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:33 pm 
FG Folder

Great looking build, I like all the added detailing, keep them coming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:32 pm 
FG Origami Master

Excellent build, Don. Really like those added details. As for WWII planes, I'd recommend the MiG-3 or the Me-109. Looking forward to more of your builds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:32 pm 
FG Origami Master

Good job jusfiddlin'! :D did ya have trouble aligning the canopy to the fuselage?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:48 pm 
Paper Model CINC

Wow that looks amazing! Those extra little details really make the model. What did you use for the spinner?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:09 pm 
FG Origami Master

Thanks for the encouraging comments. WII, I think the canopy, as designed, is a bit too tall. In order to mate it with the rear fixed canopy it has to be angled backwards a bit which really isn't correct. That's one of the things I'm not happy with on the model. I had to trim the front too for a better fit. If I ever build this model again, I'll try to correct it somehow. Cdwheatley, the spinner is the one supplied with the kit. I cut it out and formed it as designed, and then glued a circular piece of .05mm card- board (pierced and mounted onto a small nail) into the opening at the back. I coated the spinner with a generous coat of Crazy glue, and then applied Green Stuff putty to cover the joint where the paper overlapped. Then I trued it by spinning it in a dremel tool while holding a fine nail file against it. When it was nice and smooth I sprayed it with rattle can silver paint and buffed it with tissue. The paint has a pretty fine grain, and the final product looks a lot like it was made of polished aluminum. I'm pretty happy with the spinner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:35 am 
Supreme Paper Commander

WOW!!! What is it with you new guys all making us vets look like 5 year olds (okay, me anyway) ? This is an excellent build. Keep them coming!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:03 pm 
Paper Model CINC

why not do it's big brother--the Brewster Buccanneer?

Currently working on: see avatar

Last edited by Rob on Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:31 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

Nice plug Rob :lol: You should try it though, it's a fun build!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:13 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

Good looking build! that puts all of my attemps to shame!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:52 pm 
FG Origami Master

Well, I've already built "Punky" Brewster, so maybe I should tackle the Buccaneer next. Based on july1772's recommendation, I was strongly considering the Mig-3 as my next project. It's one of my favorite airplanes from WWII. If only it's performance matched it's beauty - heavy sigh. So many great models, so little time. I've made a little progress on my Grasshopper - the wing is all done. My next opportunity to work on it will be Friday. I hate it when work interferes with fun!

Post subject: nice buffalo
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:45 am 
FG Origami Master

there are so many nice models to build. The wwII fighters are super, I'd say the P-51' s my fav (dell's redraw). The Me 262 is nice. The Duck is nice, too. The me 109 is nice and has several versions. I think the P-47 can be nice ( with the 51's prop blades)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:32 am 
FG Cutter

jusfiddlin wrote:
Well, I've already built "Punky" Brewster, so maybe I should tackle the Buccaneer next. Based on july1772's recommendation, I was strongly considering the Mig-3 as my next project. It's one of my favorite airplanes from WWII. If only it's performance matched it's beauty - heavy sigh. So many great models, so little time. I've made a little progress on my Grasshopper - the wing is all done. My next opportunity to work on it will be Friday. I hate it when work interferes with fun!

I'll be watching with interest how the Grasshopper works out for you! I always liked the way the J-3 fit better.

Ryan

www.lbirds.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:12 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

Fantastic job! The spinner is amazing...but probably more effort than my lazy bones would want to put into it.

How did you make the "spinning" look for the prop? I've considered using the ones on the FG site, but they always struck me as a wee bit too cartoony for my liking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:33 pm 
Paper Model CINC

Tim_in_Winnipeg wrote:
The spinner is amazing...but probably more effort than my lazy bones would want to put into it.

Likewise I'm afraid.

Tim_in_Winnipeg wrote:
How did you make the "spinning" look for the prop? I've considered using the ones on the FG site, but they always struck me as a wee bit too cartoony for my liking.

I hadn't noticed that! I just assumed it was a FG one, but on closer inspection it's not. Ok come on, where did ya get it from?! :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next