Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:49 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: .
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:54 pm 

Last edited by durable medical equipment on Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:07 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:15 pm 
FG Scorer

LOL!!! It shure is wierd how things spread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:01 am 
FG 90# stock

I really hate to admit this, but when I was 5 or so I had become a runway rat at a small dirt runwway airport. Always in the way.

To get me out of the way one day an old mechanic sent me to look for 9 feet of flightline.

I looked all day and ask everyone there.

Years later they were still talking about it.

When I went to A&P school the mechanic that sent me was one of my teachers.

Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:29 am 
3rd Assistant to Botbuster Master

vwbug wrote:

To get me out of the way one day an old mechanic sent me to look for 9 feet of flightline.
Bill

Don't forget the "left-handed smoke shifter" that new scouts would go around camp asking for...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:11 am 
FG 26# stock

Another old standby is the venerable bucket of prop wash. In the Navy we used to send the newbies aboard ship for a fathom of waterline or send them down to the engineering spaces to have the snipes pump up the life lines with steam.

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:10 am 
3rd Assistant to Botbuster Master

and then there was the time one of our assistant scoutmasters wandered about the troop's camping area in the middle of the woods, looking for a place to plug in his electric shaver. Not finding a receptacle available, he pulled one out from his pocket and propped it on a low lying branch, plugged in the shaver, and proceeded to turn it on a shave, to the astonishment of the young scouts around. Finished, he gathered shaver and receptacle and walked away, refreshed...

Of course, he had the shaver end of the cable held in the same hand of the battery powered shaver....

Post subject: Not Eagles but tankers
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:23 am 
FG 26# stock

I had the privalage of working on the KC-135 fleet as a depot engineer for 11 years. Once during a mishap investigation I was invited to attend the "OFFICIAL" KC-135 crew chief training course being held at that base. Just for fun I asked what do you do for a tanker if it has a reported hard landing? After a uncomfortable silence the INSTRUCTOR said to check the condition of the "stress wires" on the LH wing to body fairing. These wires are found behind a little hole in this fairing that has 4 wires criss crossing it. I asked him to tell me where in the tech data that requirement was found. He said, it wasn't but that it had been taught that way as long as he can remember. To which I asked, if the wires were that important, wouldn't there be specific guidance as to what to do with or about them? Another long silence. The final answer is that the whole in the fairing is just about the same size as the one you find in any bird house. The wires are there to keep birds from nesting in the fairing.

More USAF urban myth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:54 am 
FG 26# stock

That little myth was still making the rounds in the 80's and early 90's at the 171 ARW at the ANG base at Pittsburgh. We "old timers" that had been working on the 135 since we got the aircraft in 1977 just let it continue with the newbies :lol: It was fun watching them check the "hard landing indicator" and reporting back that everything was ok. :roll:

Frank