Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:08 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Skin Peeling
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:08 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

I have noticed that my finger tips seem to peel one layer after another. I have been using Aleene's glues. Could that be the problem. Do I have consider wearing rubber gloves of some kind. I don't think I can model the paper that way. Do any one else have this problem? wc

Post subject: Re: Skin Peeling
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:00 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

Can't say I've ever had that issue. Well, once after using too much super glue. I had to cut away some to get the glue off. Maybe try some lotion? Just be careful not to get the paper all gooey from the lotion. If you don't react to vinvyl or nitrile gloves, that may be an option. When I build models that are mostly white, I'll sometimes use gloves to help keep skin oils off to prevent some smudging.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:55 am 
Paper Model Overlord

I've tried the lotion and to a certain degree it does work. I enjoy the feel of the paper on and in my fingers. I really don't don't want to have to go to gloves if I don't have to. I was just wondering if this was something as a modeler we all went through. Thank you Coach. wc

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:25 am 
FG Origami Master

Do you get a lot of glue on your fingers Waddy? If so that might be the problem, it is drying them out. I use skewer sticks to apply glue so I don't have that problem. Also skin seems to dry out in the winter (kind of counter intuitive), that might be exacerbating the problem.

Beard

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:35 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

I use the sticks also but somethings yes I do get the glue on my fingers. I just it comes with the fun huh. Thank you buddy. wc

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:06 am 
FG 26# stock

Burning Beard wrote:
<snip>skin seems to dry out in the winter (kind of counter intuitive)<snip>
Beard

Actually, not counter-intuitive!

It's a matter of humidity.

Absolute humidity is the amount of water vapor air can hold at any given temperature, and warm air can hold more than cold air.

Relative humidity, the ratio of the amount of water vapor actually in the air to the maximum amount for the temperature, is what makes us feel wet or dry.

In winter, outside, colder air, contains less moisture, even if its relative humidity is 100%. Run it through a heating system, and the same amount of moisture is now much less, relatively, than the air can hold at the warmer temperature.

Enter the room humidifier and / or central heating system humidifier (especially on forced air systems) to get the RH up and reduce "dryness."