Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:31 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: ATTITUDE
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:10 pm 
FG Folder

I want to first say that Fiddlersgreen is where I got my start in the world of paper modeling, and because of that, it is another enjoyable aspect in my modeling world.

I have noticed that the site still manages to attract new people to join, but it seems to stop at that. Now, I know that life is full of obstacles, surprises warranted or not, and that all in all we don't have the time to build or post anything. But, surely though (don't call me surely) just an occasional tidbit from the old guard or the newby would make this site seem that it is still a well valued and an operational endeavor. That goes for me also. I am guilty of not posting my last build, so I will change that, just as soon as I retake the pics (see that, procrastination at it's best). I am not pointing fingers at anyone, I just want to see more people enjoying Fiddlersgreen and the art of paper modeling.

Another point of contention for me is one where I have read on other sights the disdain towards Fiddlersgreen models. The hypocrisy from many modelers against FG astounds me. I like the majority of models from FG, and that the ease of assembly (in most cases) is what kept me interested in paper models especially from FG. Yes, many FG models, depending on when they were designed are basic cut and paste, but if you think about it, so are the more complicated models. So what gives? Why do some feel the need to downgrade a site or product that at one time in their own path, they had to start somewhere simple too?

It's like coming into major money, or taking a job that is more prestigious. We tend to forget our roots, where we started, and who helped us along the way. I will always be a loyal member of FG. One man's trash is another man's treasure, or so the saying goes.

A big thanks to FG for my start in paper modeling.

Post subject: Re: ATTITUDE
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:05 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

As an "Old Guard" I hear you. Now, I don't build anything as of lately as I'm waaaay too busy with work, but I still pull out an FG model now and then. Most of what I build lately (okay, two years ago) has been Murph's Models, which are done by Aaron Murphy, a former FG designer and staffer. I like that he keeps the same basic concept as FG models, but can now expand outside of the catalog so to speak. But, I still hold many FG models near to my heart as the ones that got me building in paper to begin with. Many of the newer models (last 5 years?) are right up there with the detail and accuracy of many other, much more expensive models.

Don't really know where I'm going with this, but that's my two pennies as well.

Post subject: Re: ATTITUDE
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:25 pm 
FG Origami Master

The first models I built were Fiddlers Green and I still occasionally build one. As a matter of fact I am currently building the Gigant, motorized version, which is a good model but very big. This one has a 25 inch wing span when built at HO scale (1/87). But some of the models are very good, like the ones John Dell did (the Boeing 299 is superb) he also did some great repaints of the B24s. I think Murphy designed the Martin B10 which is one of the first models I built, he has others in there that are equally good. I keep thinking I will build some of the many Light Houses, and most of them are new models that are very nice.

What I like best about the FG models is they are so easy to customize, repaint and enhance, you are only limited by your emagination.

Beard