Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:04 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:32 pm 
FG Origami Master

Another awesome P-47! Looking forward to the others you've done. Can't wait 'til you release these.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:39 am 
FG Scorer

These recolors are all based on real aircraft. The yellow tails with black stripes were from the 318th Fighter Group and the orange tails were from the 358th Fighther Group.

The first P-47 with the yellow tail and black stripes "2 Big and too Heavy" was a P47N-1-RE of the 333FS/318FG, I am not sure who the pilot was.

The orange tailed "Tarheel Hal" was a P47D-30-RA flown by Lt. "Ike" Davis from the 366FS/358FG in May of 1945 from Standhofen, Germany.

I also have a night fighter version from 56FS/61FG that Lt. Russ Kyler flew out of Boxted, England in early 1945 to score 10 kills. That should be the one I finish next.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:03 am 
Site Admin

Howzit

Nice repaints Yoteman. The second P-47 repaint was one that I considered doing myself, but you beat me to it, nice. Just one thing, didn't the P-47 have a fillet on the tail and squared-off wing tips? Something about it being a longer range version?

Niki

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:04 pm 
FG Scorer

I haven't seen a P47 with the squared off wing tips. The big eliptical wings are what allowed a plane that size to be incredibly manouverable at high altitudes.

As for the dorsal fin it appears that the fin was only on the P47N model. I have seen drawings of the P47D-30 having a dorsal and without but all of the other D models and the M model did not have it.

By those standards the models probably should have the dorsal fin but the one I left off intentionally and the other looked like crap when I was going to install it {my alignment problem} so I left it off.

I left the dorsal on the sheets that I recolored for the models that the documentation shows should have them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:48 am 
Site Admin

I meant the P-47N version, somehow I left out the 'N' in my previous post.

Here's a picture I found,

Niki

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:46 am 
FG Scorer

Hi Guys,

Boy, I sure have been gone a while and now find that I have some time to get a little modeling done. Here is the third P-47 repaint that I talked about several months ago. I sent all three of the P-47 repaints to Chip so he should get them up soon. This is not my best photo of a model and doesnt do the paint scheme justice in my opinion, but it is good enough to post. Hope you guys like the repaints.

My next project will be a Democratic Party version of Air Force One so Harry and Nancy don't have to worry about transporation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:22 am 
FG Origami Master

Very nice work, yoteman! Can't wait to find repaints in P-47's folder :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:49 am 
Supreme Paper Commander

Excellent work! It looks very clean. I love the addition of the nose art :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:18 pm 
FG Scorer

OK Nikki you got me on the question of the clipped wing version. After checking I noted that most of the three views and pictures show the full wing version even for the P47N model. Just as I was beginning to think that the pic that you posted above was a modification for air racing I came across a three view of a P47N model that showed the clipped wing.

The only value that I can see would be for improved handling at high altitude but Im no engineer. In looking at the model it would be easy to do the conversion on the plane.

If you look at the wing there is a panel line that runs fore to aft on the wing, just inboard of the tip. It shows up really well on the Lorene version where the dark grey stops and the red starts. I dont think you would even have to do any work in photoshop, probably just a trim at the panel line and glue the tip and voila! a clipped wing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:22 am 
Site Admin

I was thinking exactly the same thing, a simple straight forward modification, but effective.

Niki

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 3:37 am 
FG Scorer

Someone mentioned a while back that there was a need for more Finnish paint schemes. I believe that they were talking about the Hurricane. I did a bit of looking and decided that the Buffalo that we posted needs some stablemates. I found several aircraft schemes from Finland in WWII. Between my radio construction projects I was able to complete the large aircraft recolors that I was working on and I also managed to get the first two of four Finnish schemes done. I still need to find time to build these planes to ensure everything lines up properly. The two Finnish planes are the P-40 and an ME-109. After Im sure these are done then it will be on to the camo 109 and the camo Hurricane.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:21 am 
Paper Model CINC

yoteman wrote:
I picked up the square stand as a free download while I was surfing for models and ideas. It came from Zio Prudenzio's paper model airplane page.

The link for the stand is at the bottom of the page here http://digilander.libero.it/zioprudenzio/fok-air.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:43 pm 
FG Origami Master

cool! more Finnish paint schemes! good luck on repainting the P-40, I've tried repainting the P-40 several times, but always run up against the bad line work or terrible BW file! which is more like a grayscale version.

"It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required." - Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 4:19 pm 
FG Scorer

yoteman wrote:
Someone mentioned a while back that there was a need for more Finnish paint schemes. I believe that they were talking about the Hurricane. I did a bit of looking and decided that the Buffalo that we posted needs some stablemates. I found several aircraft schemes from Finland in WWII. Between my radio construction projects I was able to complete the large aircraft recolors that I was working on and I also managed to get the first two of four Finnish schemes done. I still need to find time to build these planes to ensure everything lines up properly. The two Finnish planes are the P-40 and an ME-109. After Im sure these are done then it will be on to the camo 109 and the camo Hurricane.

very good news :D
Yes the Finnish Airforce has something:
-a small Airforce
-a lot of different planes
-very successful

the moment I do their Bristol Blenheim and hope to finish it the next days

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 2:13 am 
FG Scorer

I didnt mess around with the b&w P-40. After looking it over I just flat decided to redo the lines into a new B&W file before I started the recolor. I really didn't mind redoing the lines but rivets suck. I think it came out pretty good and the Finnish color for the planes was very basic. It seems that they were evaluating a couple of the aircraft for purchase when the war broke out and they just threw on some paint and put them into service.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next