Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:39 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: 1/72 FG SNJ (Texan)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:20 am 
FG Origami Master

I've been away on vacation for the past week at the family cabin on beautiful Lake Chargoggagoggmanchaugagoggcharbunagungamaug (I kid you not). I always take some hobby supplies with me so I can do some card modelling in the evening, or if it rains, etc. I only brought the basic supplies, so I brought along a basic model too - FG's classic North American "Texan". I chose to do a wheels up version of the Naval Trainer (large), and reduced it to 1/72 scale.

I had no problems building the individual components. My troubles began when I tried to assemble those parts together: the canopy won't mate with the fuselage, the wing center section attachment to the front of the fuselage is a problem, there are arrows to show you where to cut for the wheels up version that are clearly visible when wing is mated to the fuselage, the underside of the wing fillets are hollow, the anti-skid section of the fillets are yellow instead of green to match the wings, and the propeller is drawn incorrectly. I think that's it. Anyway, it's a mess. I'm going to take what I learned from this first attempt, and build another, fix all the problems using every bit of paper modelling skill I can muster, and try to turn it into a veritable mediocrepiece :) Photos to follow.

Currently working on: 1/48 Fokker DVII
Recently completed: 1/72 Douglas Skystreak

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:32 am 
Paper Model CINC

That's a real shame Don :(. I think we've all come across situations like this, to some extent or other. I'm sure that with your considerable modelling skills you'll solve all these problems and end up with something a bit more than mediocre. Best of luck :D.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:52 am 
FG Origami Master

I've been very busy in my private life recently, and haven't been around the forum much at all :oops: I did finally manage to build a FG SNJ-3 on my 2nd attempt. It came alright. It's not the most accurate model out there, but it captures the feel of the Texan, and you know what it's supposed to be as soon as you see it, despite the inaccuracies.

One thing I hated about the first build was the "see thru" landing gear openings. This time I made wheelwells with green card stock. I don't think you'll be able to see them very well once the plane is airborne on its stand, but I'll know that they're there. Ditto with the underside hollows left when the wing fillets are added - I filled them with scrap card. I added cardstock salvaged from the first build to cover the visible center section arrows that tell you to "cut here". Joining strips were used to affix the wings to the center section for a smooth look.

I cut away all the fuselage glue tabs and used joining strips instead. For the tail section, I just rounded over the leading edges of the halves of the vert stab and then glued the edges togther. I modified the fuselage main wing opening for a better fit, and touched up the white areas with matching (kinda) paint. The front of the fuselage was wrapped with a strip of card stock a few times 'round so the cowl would be snug and centered. The fuselage was stuffed with tissue paper for added strength, and to help maintain the proper cross-section, since there are no formers. I built the canopy normally, but I had to remove wedges of card behind the last upright window pillar in order to get it to sit down on the fuselage properly at the rear. I removed a good 1/8 inch of materal in total - 1/16 inch per side. In hindsight, I should have removed material from the front of the canopy as well. It still sits too low, and is too wide in the front, with too much windscreen slope. The canopy is just too darn big for the model, both in width and length. It's a good quarter inch too long, even in 1/72 scale, and the front ends way too far forward.

I cut away the glue tabs from the elevators, and just glued them directly to the tail after several rounds of trimming and dryfitting.

I did a bit of extra detailing on the model: there's now an air scoop on the port side of the fuselage as well as the one centered behind the cowl on the underside. I added an exhaust pipe with pastel chalk stains on the starboard side for a little added realism. The antenna mast is made of doubled card stiffened with Super glue. The antenna wire is monofilament. The pitot tube is made of of thin wire. I painted the opaque canopy "glass" with a clear acrylic sealer. The gloss coat really makes it stand out from the matte finish of the fuselage - an improvement I think.

I always try to come up with a display base that will enhance the finished model. Since the SNJ-3 was a navy trainer, I thought I'd try to find a vintage naval aviation recruiting poster to incorporate into the base. What I ultimately decided to go with isn't exactly a recruiting poster - although it would have inspired me to enlist (yeah baby!). I found a pin-up girl rendered in the style of WWII nose art, painted by period illustrator Earl MacPherson. She looks like a young Marilyn Monroe, posed on an airplane wing with early war air insignia. I think her white cap lends an overall naval feel to the image. Now that it's all done I'm afraid that no one will even notice the airplane :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:08 am 
Paper Model Overlord

HAHAHA! LOL, great pic there! yeah, I'd have to agree with you, I don't think that anyone will notice the plane, which looks very nice!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:13 am 
Paper Model CINC

Hey Don :shock: She's lookin very sweet 8) The SNJ.....I mean :wink: Better get that prop goin soon :roll: Ground lookin pretty close :wink: Or maybe it's a dead stick belly up :shock: Looks like a nice place to land......belly up or other wise :lol:

Just finished:FG's Large Hawker Typhoon

http://satellitedoctor.mysite.com/
http://flybirdman.4t.com/
Spoke wheel Tutorial
http://flybirdman.4t.com/box_widget.html

We havin fun yet?[b][/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:12 pm 
Paper Model CINC

Your Texan really looks absolutely fantastic Don - a really top class job. Despite the inaccuracies and all the problems you had with it you've ended up with a model to be proud of. Oh, and the stand is pretty good too! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:37 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

That's a great looking stand there Don. The plane isn't bad either! That's by far the best looking Texan i've seen in a loooong time :D Keep up the great work.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:46 pm 
FG Origami Master

Splendiferous job there, Don!

I had the same trouble with the canopy riding to low on the fuselage, remedied it by removing 1/8th-3/16" from the front and back of the canopy. It seamed to work well enough

"It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required." - Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:02 pm 
FG Origami Master

Thank you fellas. I knew yall'd like this one :D The model definitely has its shortcomings, but with a heaping helping of eye candy, the defects just fade away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:01 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

Airplane? There's an airplane in this post?

As a nine year old allowed to roam freely (boy did we have it great back then!!) I spent all my weekends at the local strip, putting small wistful fingerprints on all the windows of airplanes as I peered inside and dreamed of someday being in command (never quite believing that wish would ever get fulfilled). Out in the weedy part of the strip, in the cheap tiedowns, was a grimy T6 that I misidentified as a Zero (thanks to too many bad Hollywood movies). "Banzai!" was painted in ersatz "Japanese" characters down the fuselage, and I was magnetically drawn to that hulking, oil stained old veteran like a bee to a blossom. At the time, a T-6 could be bought for about as much money as would buy an Aeronca Champ - they were unwanted back then, too noisy and fuel hungry and nowhere to carry passengers comfortably, and immense maintenance nightmares (all of which still applies today, except 10 times more so, but now at 1000 times the price!) I wonder if that old 6 is still in the air - in new paint, now, and in a clean hangar.

Terrific model! And so's the airplane!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:15 pm 
FG Origami Master

Oh, there is an airplane in that picture! :oops:

Mighty fine job of building a base that is totally distracting from your fine modeling skills there Don. ;) :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:19 pm 
FG Origami Master

I recently completed a non FG model. It's an Ambrosini SAI.403 Dardo, one of the coolest looking WWII planes never to see production. The kit is published by Modelik in 1/33 scale. I like 'em smaller than that, so I scanned the pages, and reduced it to 1/72 scale, after making some Photoshop enhancements. It has interior detail and a clear canopy which is a first for me. I built this one landing gear down, and displayed it sitting on my small base, with groundwork of static grass and ground foam. Enjoy the pics:

A bird in the hand....

I added the Mfg name and model and Savoy cross using Photoshop

I colored the Fasces insignia too - it was just grey and black in the kit

The only photo of the underside Image

From above

From behind

Closeup

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:21 pm 
Paper Model CINC

Hey Don, LOOKIN GOOD :!: And a clear canopy at that scale. :shock: I'm impressed 8) How did you do the canopy :?:

Just finished:FG's Large Hawker Typhoon

http://satellitedoctor.mysite.com/
http://flybirdman.4t.com/
Spoke wheel Tutorial
http://flybirdman.4t.com/box_widget.html

We havin fun yet?[b][/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:04 am 
Paper Model CINC

Impressive stuff Don, especially at this smaller scale :D. Excellent all round, but just look at those fairings - flawless! 10/10

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:11 am 
FG Origami Master

Thanks for the kudos fellas. Bob, in this scale I needed something pretty thin, so I used a piece of cellophane from microwave popcorn packaging. I glued it to to the frame using acrylic gel medium, which adheres better to the cellophane than white glue, and stays flexible after it dries. Then I cut away the excess.

Chris, I was particularly happy with the fairings on this one. I didn't cut the slits as indicated, and now I wish I had erased them while I was photoshopping the kit. I formed a belly all along the fairing length, then glued down all but the leading edge wraparound. At the front I moistened the paper's underside with a brush, and when the paper softened a bit, applied a film of glue, and used the handle of the same brush to bend and curve the paper over, around, and under. The side you can't see in the photo actually came out better.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next