Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:55 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:03 am 
Supreme Paper Commander

Beautiful plane Don! Very nice job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:32 am 
Supreme Paper Commander

Wow, that nice.

Hmmm....moistening the paper at the ends! I"ll have to remember that trick the next time I fight with some wing fairings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:11 am 
FG Origami Master

Hi fellas! I've been absent for a while, but checked in from time to time to admire some of your fine work. I figured the best way to wade in again would be with some pictures of my most recent build - der Kampfflieger's Miles M.20. There were a few problems with the kit which Roman has since corrected. You can dowload the updated model for free over on the papermodelers.com site.

The M.20 was an experimental fighter, designed to be built quickly, and brought into service rapidly if needed. 2 prototypes were built and tested. The airplane featured all wood contruction, and was armed with eight .50 caliber Brownings in the wings. For simplicity's sake, the landing gear was not retractable, but was enclosed in streamlined spats. The protoype was faster than the Hurricane, had a greater range than the Spitfire, and could carry more ammunition than either.

The build was very straightforward. Based on photos of the actual airplane, and my 3-way drawing, Image

I believe that the vertical stabilizer is placed too far aft on the model.

Roman designed the model from a different 3-way drawing, and his model is correct according to it. The wings don't quite meet up on the underside,

and my version of the model is missing the port wing aileron outline, since corrected.

The spinner came out particularly good on this model: the petals formed perfectly, and then I flowed a couple of coats of watery CA Glue on, and sanded lightly. A quick coat of flat black acrylic paint finished the job.

Despite my disappointment with the model after discovering the missing aileron, I decided to take the time to do a little extra detailing anyway. Paper exhaust pipes, air scoops, and an antenna and mast were added. I coated the opaque bubble canopy with a few coats of acrylic gloss for an improved look. Because of all the compound curves, the most difficult part of the build was the spats. It's pretty hard to hide all those little notches, and I'm not really happy with the way they look

I printed out one of my display bases to sit the finished model on. Hopefully the missing aileron won't be too obvious to the viewer.

I hope you enjoyed the pics.

Currently working on: 1/48 Fokker DVII
Recently completed: 1/72 Douglas Skystreak

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:41 am 
Paper Model CINC

Good to see you back Don, and what a great looking model! The slight flaws with the kit are hardly noticeable to the uninformed. I think the spats look just fine - you probably couldn't have done them any better than you did :D. The spinner looks absolutely fantastic, hard to believe it's made from card! 10/10

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:27 pm 
Paper Model CINC

Hey Don, welcome back. :D We missed you. Great looking model BTW 8) Been doing a few Kampfflieger's myself.

Just finished:FG's Large Hawker Typhoon

http://satellitedoctor.mysite.com/
http://flybirdman.4t.com/
Spoke wheel Tutorial
http://flybirdman.4t.com/box_widget.html

We havin fun yet?[b][/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:54 pm 
FG Origami Master

Great photos of a great build. Good to see you back....Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:13 pm 
FG Origami Master

Thank you for your comments fellows. I haven't been too active lately with the modeling. Chris, from reviewing your posts I see congratulations are in order, so.....CONGRATULATIONS :D :D :D Bob, I just checked out your kamppflieger autogyros - very nice indeed! I have another of his autogyros - not sure what it is (I'm at work, and my paper model files are on my home computer). Anyway, it's small, British, brown and green camo on top, yellow on the bottom, and has an interior. I've been a bit intimidated by it's small size and although I've looked at it longingly, I've yet to put scissors to it. Bill, thanks for the warm welcome back. I'm nearly done with my Caudron, so I should have some fresh pics up before too long.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:20 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

Great stuff Don!!!!! I too have been bit by der Kampfflieger. Except, I'm going to be building the B-47 :twisted: Sometime anyway. Still have to finish a Cessna and a Thor rocket beta. Better hurry up. :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:03 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

Very nice! And that display stand is awesome.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:03 pm 
FG Origami Master

Back again after a long absence. Here we have Fiddler's Green classic Douglas SBD Dauntless, printed in 1/72 scale on 110 lb stock. I tried to make the crew a bit more 3D by making multiple copies of the figures, gluing the pieces to cardboard, and then layering them together. I used the free Fiddler's Green base to display the model "in flight". The build was very straightforward with no problems to report. The aft fuselage section is fiddly, and the wing fairings are always tough. It's an older kit, and would benefit from a redesign. The canopy is a weak point. It doesn't really have the correct contour, which is why I displayed mine with the canopy open. It was fun to build, and I think it stands up pretty well for an older design.

Post subject: Re: jusfiddlin's models
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:25 am 
Paper Model CINC

I've been following this over on the Paper Modellers site. Beautiful work as always Don, she looks fantastic :D.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:59 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

looks great Don! I love the crew guys. Very neat idea.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:52 am 
FG Origami Master

Thanks fellas! I picked up the technique used to beef up the crew members from a modeler that goes by the handle obi. He makes really convincing looking figure vignettes by using this simple layering/lamination technique. I think it worked pretty well for a first attempt, and I'm sure I'll use it again.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:50 pm 
FG Scorer

Looks great Don, and congrats again on POTW.

Post subject: 1/72 PZL P.50/I Jastrzab
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:34 pm 
FG Origami Master

I thought I'd post a few photos of my recently completed PZL P.50. This model started out as a vintage Maly Modelarz kit which I scanned, cleaned up, recolored and finally shrunk down to 1/72 scale. PZL completed and tested only a single prototype before the Nazi invasion. The exact appearance of the airplane has always been in question. This model is fictional, but had Poland been able to put it into production, it probably would have looked very similar to this:

Pictures aren't too good, but you get the idea.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next