Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:21 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:26 am 
FG Origami Master

Excellent build, once again. You make some pretty nice models.

Unfortunately the site where you got the model is no longer available.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:50 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

That Is nice. I like all those panel lines. Too bad its not available anymore.

Post subject: Fiddlers Green P-40
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:44 pm 
FG Origami Master

I just finished building FG's P-40. I chose the Chinese AVG version cuz when I think P-40, I can't help but think Flying Tigers. This is one of FG's earlier models, and it isn't of quite the same quality or accuracy as the newer releases, but with a bit of tweaking and TLC it can still yield good results. As usual, I reduced the model to 1/72 scale, and printed it on 110 lb cardstock. Photos are of the usual poor quality. Sorry 'bout that.

Added details included exhaust pipes made of styrene rod, machine guns made of piano wire, pitot tube and antenna wires made of fishing line, and gun sights made of fine lead wire.

Some of the details

To show off the model, I modified my small display base with sky 'n clouds "groundwork" and made a matching pedestal to mount the plane to. I printed a brass look name plate for the front, and for posterity, I affixed a smaller plate to the back with my name and the date. Who knows, this thing may show up in an antique shop some day!

Currently working on: 1/48 Fokker DVII
Recently completed: 1/72 Douglas Skystreak

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:01 pm 
Botbuster Master

very very nice model...... :D :D

Take your time leavin.....but hurry back!!!!
Every tub has to sit on its own bottom!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:10 pm 
Paper Model CINC

Beautiful "Tiger"!!
Lep

Currently working on: FG Wippet 1/72
Recently Completed: FG FT-17 Dio 1/38

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:19 pm 
Paper Model CINC

[b]KOOL 8)

Nice lookin Tiger :wink: You make your own prop discs :?: or are they available somewhere :?:

Bob

Just finished:FG's Large Hawker Typhoon

http://satellitedoctor.mysite.com/
http://flybirdman.4t.com/
Spoke wheel Tutorial
http://flybirdman.4t.com/box_widget.html

We havin fun yet?[b][/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:45 am 
FG Origami Master

Man, that's nice. You and Chris sure know how to make the older models look good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:12 am 
FG Origami Master

good job Don! :D

"It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required." - Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:24 am 
FG Origami Master

Thanks for the nice comments gents. This one definitely challenged me a bit, which is a good thing since the difficult models are the ones that teach. Bob, the prop spinner is just a disc of clear PETE plastic from a "to go" container cut to the diameter of the propeller. I used an emery board to scratch the prop shadows into the surface, and then rubbed a little black acrylic paint into the roughened areas to make them pop. I slowly enlarged the center hole until I was happy with where it sat on the spinner, and used acrylic gel medium bought at a craft store to glue it in place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:11 pm 
Paper Model CINC

You've done a fantastic job Don, well done :D. This has inspired me to attempt a P-40 myself sometime.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:01 pm 
FG Origami Master

If you're gonna build one, I'd shy away from the method laid out in the instructions when assembling the nose. I cut off the glue tabs off mine and made 1mm formers for the nose pieces. I butt glued them together and then to the fuselage. Based on photos of the actual airplane, I think that part A is too wide also. It places the spinner way out in front of the airscoop on the FG model. Much more so than on the actual airplane. Another thing that I didn't like is that nose assembly A/B has an oval cross section, and the spinner is round. As a result the spinner hangs down on the bottom. It doesn't flow smoothly into the nose all the way around its circumference as it should. Not very P-40ish. The FG model certainly looks like a P-40 when it is all done, but if you're a stickler for accuracy, you might be disappointed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:15 am 
Supreme Paper Commander

Geat job there; its those little details that make all the difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:01 pm 
Paper Model CINC

Thanks for the tips Don :D.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:38 am 
FG Origami Master

I've been away from the forum (and modeling) for a while due to a family injury: my mom fell resulting in 2 compression fractures in her lower spine. She's got osteoporosis, and at 84 years old, I'm afraid she's looking at a long, painful recovery. I've been pretty busy helping out my folks for the past 6 weeks, and modeling has had to take a back seat. I did manage to finally finish the 1/72 scale FG pre war Vought SB2U Vindicator that I started back in early November.

I wound up with a slight banana the first time I built the fuselage, so I had to make another. On the second attempt I made my own alternating side fuselage glue tabs. I find that this technique helps keeps everything straighter than when all the glue tabs are lined up on the same side. I packed the fuselage with toilet tissue for strength before sealing up the front with the engine disc. The cowl ring was too small (the only fit problem), so I had to print another, cutting a bit outside the lines the 2nd time around.

While searching for images of the Vindicator to get some detail shots of the bomb rack, I came across a color photo of a plastic model of the very same airplane (Commander, Ranger Air Group) with the pre-war paint scheme. It had yellow upper wing surfaces, from the skid panels to the wingtips, whereas the FG model is all white except for the leading edge. I wonder which is accurate? The yellow wing is certainly more eye catching, and now I wish I did my research first, as I would have taken the time to repaint the wings in Photoshop. Oh, well. Woulda, coulda, shoulda.

Added details include a cowl air scoop, exhaust pipes made of rolled paper, extended landing gear, a bomb rack made of thin plastic rod and card, airportkid's awesome scaleable bomb (thank you very much), a tail hook, monofilament antenna wire and a pitot tube. I made a battleship grey version of my larger sized paper display base to fit this baby on, and textured the surface with an aircraft carrier flight deck. A brass look name plate completes the model. It's not my favorite FG model, but I think it came out pretty good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:27 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

Fantastic! I love the bomb rack. That base is great too...did you make that yourself?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next