Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:58 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:09 pm 
FG 26# stock

Let me share with you my latest "work" in aluminum, well I have some interest in exploiting the possibilities of aluminum beverage cans (soda, beer, etc), I wanted to build a Fiddlers Green model of an aircraft with metallic look with almost no painting, so this is nothing like the jets of the 50s.

I purchased the Mig-15 Soviet and American F86 from FG, then decided that the best scale to be use for the FG model building with soda cans was the 1 / 72 scale.

So first I printed the pattern of MIG-15 sized to the scale referred to a sheet of plain paper (75gr) as the color cartridge for my printer was empty I printed it in black and white, remember what the print model was use only as template.

I cut the paper pattern pieces and stuck with tape to the unpainted side of the can (flated), then cut out the pieces on aluminum, I tried to work the metal as if it were cardboard. then I proceeded to fold and glue the pieces with a glue called "La Brujita" en Ecuador (cyanoacrylate), I realized that we need to ensure that the metal is properly shaped and has adopt the desired shape before applying glue.

Once the main body of model was assembled, I realized that while the Mig-15 aircraft was a metallic appearance of the surface has a myriad of details that I tried to reproduce with a stylus, i was not satisfied with the result, I thought that a better approach would be to print the pattern on a transparent adhesive sheet (of which sold in offices supply stores for use with printers), the idea is that the details are printed but revealing the metallic aluminum color.

I took a disappointment when I found that the FG model is incorrect on the length of the aircraft, the MiG-15 aircraft is a short and plump, like a flying roll, but the model I got turned out to be longer than expected.

I made the "red stars" on card by hand (my printer was out of ink) and glued with white glue.

I made the canopy of metal but then I decided to do them in cardboard and aluminum foil (that are sell at the super to food wrap), also I used a foil for some details of the aircraft.

This project took me about 8 hours Saturday and Sunday, the result did not satisfy me at all but take it as a learning procces, the next weekend to build this model again correcting my mistakes and modifying the FG model to make it shorter.

To build this model I used the metal of 2 cans.

I want share this pictures to show the final product.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:20 am 
Supreme Paper Commander

Man, I like that! I'd be too worried about getting sliced up by the can. I seem to be able to get hurt doing anything.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:19 am 
Site Admin

I tried building models out of soda cans a few years ago. I learned that blood doesn't damage them as much as it does paper models. The only problems I had were the fumes from the brake cleaner that the book I got recommended to remove the printing from the can, and gluing myself to the parts rather than gluing them to each other.

Recently finished: Moving and getting set up
In progress: Zepellin Staaken (self design)