Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:55 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:04 pm 
FG 90# stock

Recently I have become interested in making stuff out of soda cans. I had seen a couple posted here that were simply fantastic. I had to give it is a try There is certainly a learning curve to cans, I have discovered a few things that I wished I would have know when I started out.

Here are the latest ones...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:23 pm 
FG 90# stock

I like the float plane indeed. What glue are you using on these? There are a few that will make your glue lines almost untraceable. The Loc-tite Gel and the Testors Hobby Super Glue are a couple that work exceptionally well. Also, my customers really like the clear vinyl cockpits-maybe something you can take a crack at with little issue given more experimentation.

Are you using a paper model as a base template, or are you creating new patterns for these? I would be interested to know the basis of your patterns...

NG

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:54 pm 
FG 90# stock

I am using a very high heat glue gun. Once is cools the metal will often tear before the glue gives.

As for the patterns, I have been finding pics of planes on line for some, raiding my kiddos toy box for others, and with one, I had a real plane parked outside to go off of. From these, the are just scaled up or down.

I am hoping to create about ten patterns in all. That should cover all my favorites.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:22 am 
FG 90# stock

I have experimented with many glues over the years. Used to pick them up at Big lots in a three pack for a $1 before they stopped making it. I have tried Gorilla Glue and several others and I have found that the Loc-tite Gel is exceptional. The Testors Hobby Super Glue is also good, but its a bit pricey. I have talked to others in the hobby who use glue guns, but I have never had the patience for it and I discovered that it would not support the frame of many of my larger scale projects...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:40 am 
FG 90# stock

what kind of dry time does the testors have? I am hoping to have something with a short dry time. There are certain things i really like the hot glue for. On the wings, if they have a twist to them, i can take a hot iron and remelt the hot glue to properly reform the wing shape.

I would really like to find something else for some of the other joints. It definitely sounds promising.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:51 pm 
FG 90# stock

The Testors has a very quick dry time in contrast to the Loctite gel which gives you a bit more time. I use both depending on what part of the structure I am working on. IF I need it to glue and stick right away, I go with the Testors. IF I need to work the piece into position, I use the Loctite....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:41 pm 
FG 90# stock

i am going to give those a try next. i am in the process of drawing up a set of plans for an A10 Warthog. i have been dying to do one!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:31 pm 
FG 90# stock

Oh One of my favorites! You'll have to post some progress on that one. Or if you need a beta builder for the pattern, I would love to give it a try...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:20 am 
FG 90# stock

i will take you up on that. i am actually taking the time to set this up in pdf form. i have about half of it drawn up. I am hoping to have the rest done by the weekend. shoot me over your email and i will send stuff over as i get it created. this will be some fun!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:49 am 
FG 90# stock

A couple shots of my latest.

A10 Warthog

All in all I am happy with it even with it being a prototype. When I do a second I believe it will be much cleaner and slightly more refined. I will be doing missiles and other minor details after the first of the year.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:42 pm 
FG 90# stock

Just finished up a prototype Zero. I am going to post pics of the actual build over in the design section.