Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:57 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:04 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

The Stearman it is then. I'm glad that decision is out of the way. About the Duck. Both wings removed with the aid a new blade in the knife. A little damage around the opening but all is repaired. New wings installed and now I wait till tomorrow till I start on the top wing. I tried a crazy idea I saw over at Paper Modelers about making the ribs show better. Failed so I'll stay with the old top wing. Here is where we are so far. wc

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:13 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

I'm at the point where the Wing struts go on. Did you just glue them onto the wing or did you cut the wing where they go so the struts would have a place to be glued into? I still think the job you did on the tires was the best. Very sharp looking tires. wc

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:33 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

I glued the main wing struts onto the bottom wing first. Once they set, I glued them to the top wing a flipped it over onto it's back to dry. Then, I glued the smaller fuselage struts onto the top of the fuselage and wings. Just make sure your wings are as straight as you can get them before gluing for this method.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:48 am 
Paper Model Overlord

Work continues on the Duck. This morning I will attack the wing floats and supports. I wanted to say something here about the ost of our leader. Chip and I didn’t see eye to eye on all things modeling. That said, I know people do and say things never meant due to pain and illness. He will be missed by one and all and that means me too. He was our leader, founding Father, the one person who got me started on this wonderful hobby. I never would have started this if Chip had pushed here and there. I’m real sorry he’s gone but I hope and pray he’s doing better now. You can be at odds with a person and still look up to the same person. There is one thing Chip did for me on a personal level. Through this hobby he allowed me to meet Willygoat. This was one of the best things to happen to me. I hope his students realize what a great instructor he really is. I would be lost without Willy and I owe a big thanks to Chip for this. I hope Fiddlersgreen will live forever for his sake. He put a lot into this great craft and his name will be remembered for ever. Rest easy and in peace Chip. You deserve the rest wc

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:30 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

John,
You have no idea how much that means. Seriously. But even I wouldn't be here if not for Chip and his amazing strategy of giving the Cub model out for free. It was that model that got me started so many years ago.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:44 am 
Paper Model Overlord

Sunday Morning
WING FLOATS- there killing me. I've had to print and cut them out for a third time. I keep looking at what you did and reading it over and over. It's like Stevy Wonder has said, "I just can't see it." How Chip ever thought this parts out is amazing. How did he do stuff like this? Blow me mind what little there is of it left. I'll keep plugging away at it. To stupid to stop now. wc

Sunday Afternoon
There is good news. It took a lot out of my brains but I saw what it is you were showing me. One done, second one about 1/2 way on the second. These things are killers. I hope this is the lat hard part beside the cockpit which was my big idea. No one fault but mine. Photos to come. wc

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:25 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

The floats appear to be coming along nicely. Keep up the good work!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:26 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

I have been down with the bug for the last week and a half to the point I couldn't work on my Duck. I hate being away from her so long. I'll finish up the floats and the pontoon struts today and install. I'll start work on the landing gear next. I did finish the tail controlling surfaces with the braces. I have a question Willy about the engine cowling. I was thinking about coloring it the same color to match the red strip and other red parts of the Duck. Is that ok or should I stay stock and if I want a red engine cowling I could always build a second one and do a better job of the build trying to correct a few problems I made. I saw a photo of a Duck and it really did a nice touch on it. Also, I found a place where I can buy the same plane for my MSFS-X. I think it would be a blast to take this puppy up for a run. See what she can do. I also found the Boeing Sherman. I have that one in Flight and it really fly sweet. I just wanted a second opinion about the engine cowling. I know it's my plane and my choice but some times it's best to stay stock if you know what I mean. Thank you for your input Coach. Now that football is back(thank God), I think we have to change your handle to Coach Willy. What do you think? Or maybe not. wc

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:33 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

Coach Willy works too. I'm a cross country and track coach so nothing new.

I'd say do what ever you want to do with the engine cowling. It's your model. Do what makes you happy.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:15 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

I was looking for a second opinion. No luck on finding you plane yet. Will you have to buy it? wc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:15 am 
Paper Model Overlord

UPDATE: I did the tire just as you did. Sir, you are brilliant. It works just as you showed if you read each and ever word ad for me, give it time to sink in. Please remember hat these are all new ideas to me and no to my way of thinking. You were right on the spot. all one has to do is go back over all the edges with a black pen marker and color in all the edges and you have a tire. You are the teacher!
I would like to pose a question if I might. Jr. who helped me with the Piper Cub show me a different way of making tires by cutting strips of different sizes and gluing one after another and then sanding and coloring. I took it one more step by place it onto my Dremel Drill and rotating it and sanding and shaping and then coloring. Both ways work but as you are leading this class please give me you input.

If the power to be are reading this and going through all the steps that Willy has shown us here I would like to suggest that he be made the unofficial instructor for Fiddlersgreen for building these wonderful models. There is no way I would have gotten this far with out his photos and helpful tips. One of the major problems I have with modeling is the lack of good instructions. I think it must be kept in mind that there are a lot of out here who are learning. With out people like Willy we would be lost. Good instructions are a must if this hobby is going to grow. Just my 2 cents worth and now I will step down and go back to my Duck that I really love. student wc.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:50 am 
Supreme Paper Commander

I've seen the stack and sand method for wheels in the past. I've contemplated that method for some projects. I'll save it for a real big project like one of my printed kits. Maybe the P-38J or F-117.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:14 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

Do you have a copy of Jr.s? If so could you e-mail it to me. I thought I still had a copy but can't find it and it at one time was at PM but I can't find it there either. wc

Ok, good news. I found a old copy and sanned and saved id so maybe this time I won't lost it. I only had to cut out 3 strips to match that same size. I will form today to tires and allow to set till tomorrow and then sand to shape. I will use the outer cover to the out side of the tire to get that look. I think we have an idea here.
BTW. The word coach is not one I give easily. In high school I had a lad teacher who I very much liked. I always called him coach to which he would always answer back "I'm no d**n jock inspector." He passed away someime ago. I miss him very much. He was a great man and a great teacher. See where I'm going?. wc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:27 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

8)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:27 am 
Paper Model Overlord

No worries about Jr.'s tires and the way he made them. My wife Susan ask that the tires be made just like yours. So today here we go back to that. About the Landing Gear Struts. The instruction suggest toothpicks be used. As small at these are I guess I will have to do some cutting and thinning to get the paper to wrap around them. Or maybe a stiff piece of wire? Any ideas? I really love this bird. Getting closer all the time. Even if it's just a little bit of work done on her. Something about sea planes puts a hurt on my. Very odd of me.
Did you see what Papermate has been doing over at PM?
Wow, how does he do it so small? His work put a real hurt on my as he can do with his models and her I am struggling with the large versions. I wish I knew how he doe it.
http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/aviation/12721-navy-planes-1-200-a-51.html#post315329
Check his list at the bottom of this page. The Duck is there as is the Kingfisher.
You have to love this hobby. wc

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next