Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:26 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:51 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

When I did the struts, I just stuck an extra layer of card stock between the two sides of the part and laminated them using CA glue. They came out very strong and stiff.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:14 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

Hello Coach, tail wheel is on. I put a couple of layers of card paper between both sides to make the tire look a little thick and blacken it with a pen. I got the tire struts worked out. I use a needle to give strength to them. Looks ok. The struts look round like they should. I have the triangle shape peice glued on. I did both sides. What I'm not sure is how to glue the tires to the struts. It was a lot easier with the Piper Cub but this is throwing me a bit. I can see gluing a tooth pick into the center of the tire but not sure how it goes from there. Been a long day. I'll be back on her in the morning with a hot cup of coffee in hand. Coffee always helps. End of report. wc out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=GFVossbjO6Y
PS-Found a video. Now I guess I'll have to go all the way and but me one of these.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:48 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

If you've got a couple of extra needles, you could poke a hole into the center of the wheel (fuselage side) and then bend the needle to the desired angle for the wheel to the struts. If there's a little room in the struts, you could then poke the needle into the strut and up the length of it. Secure that, and then glue the wheel onto the end of the needle that's sticking out.

Not a clue if that would work, but it might. Let know if you think of something.

I think I used the little triangle flaps at the end of the strut piece and flattened it out and glued it to the wheel.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:19 am 
Paper Model Overlord

I like your idea of extending the needle from the struts then into the tire. I think that will work. Below is a series of photos showing what I did. Looks like I will be making a couple of more struts. I'm getting use to making parts 3 and 4 times. I guess it's just a part of modeling. Do it till you get it right or the way you want it. The first time I made these I used small pieces of .o2 wire I bought. But I think the needle works a lot better.Thank you Coach for the idea. Good one.wc

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:27 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

Coach I have a question about the Carburetor. Where does it go and how is it mounted? The instructions doesn't cover it. For this model I'm not going to do the cockpit. Last minute decision. I did find one but it's not the same scale so this time around I'll leave it out.
Also, did you use the Wing Fairings? I tried but it's again like there just isn't enough paper to go all the way around the wing at the root where the fuselage and wings connect. Or is it just me again? wc

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:09 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

I did not add the wing fairings. I think I tried them, but they didn't fit right. As for the carb question, do you mean the exhaust? That goes on the bottom side of the cowling on the starboard side. You can see it in a couple of my pics.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:23 am 
Paper Model Overlord

I got the exhaust pipes installed ok but if you look on the sheet in that same area next to them there is a carb. part. I don't know where it goes. When I look at your Duck it looks like your Engine Disc set back a little from the front or does it set as close to the front as possible?
Trying to get this ti look correct is so hard. I know my Duck is far from perfect. I can see all the flaws in it just like I did in the Piper Cub. This is still a learn game for me as it is for so many others. For right now I can settle for close. In time I will be closer to perfect like your models. As I have said before. So much to learn, so little time. wc

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:47 am 
Supreme Paper Commander

Rhe engine plate was attached onto the fuselage directly. The cowling was slipped over the end of the fuselage. I put it on as far as I could.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:19 am 
Paper Model Overlord

Thank you willy, I did a dry fit and it's like everything came together. The Duck is almost finished. I thought I would go ahead and do the pilot and rear gunner with a ope cockpit. With any luck there will be photos today. All I have to do then is find and build a stand for her. Never going to be able to thank you enough for all the help you have sent me. This is a beautiful airplane. wc

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:22 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

September 24th, my Grumman J2F Duck 1937 is finished. I want to thank a very special person for his tutorial and all of his generous help and support, Willygoat. I would have been lost without his help. This was a killer model for me to build and as I now complete it but never to walk away from it, look forward to the next one, Boeing Stearman PT-17 "Kaydet" 1933 ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing-Ste ... -17_Kaydet ).
After a short break construction will start. wc

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:50 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

Nice one John! She came out great. Better be ready to roll some small cylinders for the Kaydet. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:11 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

I just went over the folder and saw cylinders and Engine Block. Holly crap. Out of the pan and into the fryer I guess. Or is it the other way around? I had hope it was a bit bigger but she will be fine. It's the same scale as the Duck I guess. Wish me luck, here we go again. You know there's no way I could even come close if I didn't have your help on her. The Kingfisher and the Ruff and Pete are looking good to me. I sent you a question in a e-mail about the file I sent you. I'm not sure I did right. I hope you understood what I was trying to say. Thanks will, I owe you even bigger. Where do I sign the tab? wc

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:48 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

the engine cylinders won't be too bad if you roll them around a dowel or a skewer. I used a bamboo skewer when I did mine.