Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:45 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: 1st paper Model
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:16 am 
FG Folder

This is the first paper model that I have ever built. I picked the Panzer PzIII tank because it looked the easiest to build. It is rough but I am still happy with my efforts. I had problems with the turret and the gun. I put too much pressure on the gun by not using a dowel or tube when rolling the gun. Too many little creases on this tank. I used 65lb card stock and it seemed to work for me. Anyways I didn't do anything special to this model, it was built straight out of the box, so to speak. I did trim the treads to make it look more like real treads. This was the start of my collection. I like it. This definitely is the hobby for me now.

caddmann05

I was having trouble with the photobucket website, so now I am using flickr. Let me know if you can't view the pictures for this link.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/caddmann05/8562940557/

Last edited by caddmann05 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: 1st paper Model
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:57 am 
Supreme Paper Commander

That's a great start! For rolling tubes like the gun barrel, it helps to start rolling around an object slightly larger than the final diameter, then work your way to slightly smaller than the final size. The gentle decrease in size as you go helps prevent creases, as well as give the paper "memory" of the curled shape. Ideally, you get the paper rolled small enough so that when it springs back when released, it stays at the desired final size. I have a couple of different diameters of brass rods that I got from the local hobby store, and I also use bamboo skewers and a small PVC pipe. It all works.

Make sense?

Hope that helps.

Post subject: Re: 1st paper Model
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:35 am 
FG Folder

Thanks for the tip. I now have different diameters of dowels to do just that.

caddmann05