Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:27 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: P-51D Mustang
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:11 pm 
FG Folder

Here is my second paper model, but my first airplane. I had learned from my experiences with the Panzer and was ready to tackle my second model. As you can see it still looks like it went thru a small battle, but I did try some new techniques. One was to abandon the paper landing and tail gear for a more sturdier assembly. I like to work with balsa, it is soft and can be carved and sanded very easily. I used toothpicks like it mentions in the instructions for the actual struts. I just inserted the strut into the top of the wheels. It looks okay. I felt better than seeing thin paper/card stock holding up the plane. I also used tissue to add bulk to the wings. I had trouble as you can see with the radiator scoop under the wings. It is uneven as far as the left and right sides of the scoop. As a matter of fact I had to trim some excess to get it to the present condition. It looks weird, but the plane sits on its wheels, so you can't tell it's cockeyed. I think I saw another posting about that very same problem. Another area that doesn't look right is the propeller, it looks too small. I didn't double up on the thickness of the blades, so it is fragile. I did use watercolors to finish the reverse side. I matched the colors closely so it doesn't look too bad. I am happy with this model as well.

caddmann05

http://www.flickr.com/photos/caddmann05/8569997524/

Post subject: Re: P-51D Mustang
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:18 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

Looks pretty nice for a first plane. Be sure to try some of the "John Dell Collection" Mustangs. I think he updated the design a bit and added many nice colors.

Post subject: Re: P-51D Mustang
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:40 pm 
FG Origami Master

You're doing really well for first builds, they are nice a clean with no boo-booes. Wish I could say the same for my first ones.

Beard