Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:20 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:41 pm 
FG 90# stock

It has been a year since my last build. I had a customer want a spitfire built from RC. Here are some pics of the finished build. It took about 75 cans and 60+ hours.

The same guy is wanting a P38 lightening. That will be a fun one!

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:18 pm 
FG Origami Master

That turned out really neat!

Beard

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:29 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

Nice! That's pretty smooth lookin'

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:43 am 
Paper Model Overlord

That is a great looking Spit. My all time favorite aircraft. I had to qualify in a Spitfire in a on line IL-2 flying cub. The things they showed me and the flying I could do. I tried for the Hurricane but didn't finish it. Can't wait to see your next one. Thank you for sharing. Hell of a job. wc

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:42 pm 
FG Folder

Super build! What do use use to cut the cans? And what kind of glue?

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:42 am 
FG 90# stock

Wad_Cutter wrote:
That is a great looking Spit. My all time favorite aircraft. I had to qualify in a Spitfire in a on line IL-2 flying cub. The things they showed me and the flying I could do. I tried for the Hurricane but didn't finish it. Can't wait to see your next one. Thank you for sharing. Hell of a job. wc

completely jealous you actually flew them!

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:43 am 
FG 90# stock

idoitall wrote:
Super build! What do use use to cut the cans? And what kind of glue?

l use a dremel to cut off top and bottom. scissors or x-acto knife to cut shapes. the plane is held together with hot glue, carpet tape, nuts and bolts.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 4:05 pm 
FG 90# stock

I think that a clear canopy would have really made this model sing! I understand the pop culture effect, but I also think that it doesn't hurt to inject a little bit of realism. The build seems much cleaner this time and you seem to have resolved the beads of hot glue that really took away from the previous builds. A nice effort all in all...

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:54 pm 
FG 90# stock

ngwithrsd wrote:
I think that a clear canopy would have really made this model sing! I understand the pop culture effect, but I also think that it doesn't hurt to inject a little bit of realism. The build seems much cleaner this time and you seem to have resolved the beads of hot glue that really took away from the previous builds. A nice effort all in all...

I remember you mentioning the clear canopy in a number of my threads. I personally don't care for them with my builds. I feel by using aluminum, I can build a more accurately shaped canopy.

This is build number 12 if memory serves, there has been a definite evolution.

Here are the first ones...

later models...

and then...

even later...

if you notice, there is a definite progression in complexity and realism. What I am going for is improved construction methods and more closely matching the actual airplane's shape. For example, I used to settle for simple cones for the nose of the aircraft, now I will take the time to design the noses of the aircraft with proper curvature. You will see this reflected in the nose cone of the spitfire, A10, and C130.

I have found the design to be much more fun than the build itself. That said, changes in actual construction methods is a pretty interesting too. Here are a couple of the build shots of the during the spitfires construction. The shots include fuselage construction and the bubble underneath the nose(this part was a blast to make).

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:02 pm 
FG 90# stock

I do see an evolution in some areas indeed and I commend the progression.

I also think that if you took some time to experiment as others in our craft have, you would find that you can achieve accurately built canopies with other materials. I have evolved over the years from just using clear vinyl and cutting it and securing it, to now using a sort of vacuform technique by heating the vinyl over a blank and heating it to create a very detailed and accurate canopy that can then be further detailed with strips of can or otherwise. Some of the other web vendors use soft soap bottles cut into an accurate shape and then detailed with aluminum foil or duct tape. These seemingly minor details serve to really make the model 'pop' and set it apart from the rest.

You seemed to have adopted more of the streamlined bulkhead building technique, and learned to fold complex parts as shown at the nose of your aircraft. I think the next evolution can be the use of other adhesives besides the hot glue. Some of my contemporaries use Quick Grip and rave about it's holding power, while I use a high grade Loctite gel and Zap industrial gel which give more control and freedom to get as complex as I dare.

But hey, these are only suggestions and you can do what you want. I seek only to point out that this craft is about evolution and progression and if you stick with it as long as I have(nearly 20 years), you going to find that there is always a way to build a better model....

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 5:49 am 
FG Origami Master

All I can say is "WOW"

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 7:02 am 
FG 90# stock

oibbill wrote:
All I can say is "WOW"

This is nothing oibbill, you should head over to papermodelers,com and check out the section entitled " other things we do and make". There are some soda modeling threads over there that will really blow your mind...